AR Rehman usually composes music that captivates the masses but his work for
the Champions League will have to be kept in cold-storage for a while.

Even though the Test series against England was salvaged, the future of the
other cricket event that was affected by the Mumbai terror attacks remains
in doubt. The champions league T20 was already struggling to find a window
in a crowded calendar and speculation is rife holding it next year too will
be very difficult.

A meeting between the promoters of the league, the BCCI; who own 50% stake
and co-founders Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa is being held on
December 12 to find a way forward but many remain skeptical about whether
that can produce any results.

"When you have a product like Champions League, there are many teams and
many nations involved. So, to try and get a schedule that meets everybody's
approval takes time and we need to fix it," said Lalit Modi.

Not only is the calendar chock-a-block, there is also talk of whether the
tournament will need to be restructured. It was meant to feature champion
teams from India, South Africa and Australia besides the champions of
England and Pakistan.

Australia and South Africa are holding their domestic T20 tournaments in the
first couple of months of the new year; so will the new winners mean the
previous champions will be discarded?

Seeking the answers to all these tricky questions is also the host
broadcaster ESPN-STAR Sports who were only willing to say: "As the global
commercial partner of the Champions League Twenty20, we remain committed to
launch and build this unique property as a marquee event in the
international cricket calendar and we will be working very closely with the
Champions League Twenty20 administration to develop the way forward."

There were already fears that with the economic downturn; ESPN will struggle
to find enough sponsorship to justify its near billion dollar investment to
buy the rights for the tournament.

"At the end of the day it is the quantum of sponsors and in your eyes it
might be a 100 per cent sell-out, but we have to keep in mind that ESS and
we are here for a long haul. And I think one series is not going to make
enough impact," stated Modi.

Clearly after the success of the IPL, this has been a harsh wake-up call for
the promoters of T20 carnivals.
http://cricketnext.in.com/news/future-tense-for-champions-league/36418-13.html

--
regards,