From: Gopal Srinivasan <catchg...@yahoo.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:57:09 PM
Subject: [arr] "rhythm's gonna get you"

After a long time, an ARR interview in Filmfare.

Filmfare
December 24, 2008

rhythm's gonna get you
Faheem Ruhani catches up with music maven A.R.Rahman

You
seldom catch A.R.Rahman in a frisky mood. I am however, one of the
fortunate few. I discover his funny vein when I taxi down to Film City
to meet the music maestro atSubhash Ghai's film training academy
Whistling Woods. In today's musical cacophony he's easily the jewel in
the junkyard. 2008 has been clearlyRahman' s whammy year. With back-to-back
chartbusters like Jodhaa Akbar and Jaane Tu.... Ya Jaane Na. He was also the
only silver lining in the grin Yuvvraaj. Currently, all years and ears are
glued to the soundtrack of Ghajini. The perfect synthesis of East and West,
Rahman is every filmmaker's
dream and nightmare come true. Nightmare, because you have to wait
interminable hours outside his Chennai music studio. Waiting for the
master to belt out his melodies. Dream, because very tune is designed
to buoy up the musical bar codes. Which adds up to the right time for
me to meet the diminutive 42-year old composer for a quick round of
questions.

Excerpts from a musical chat:

Q: Your Slumdog
Millionaire has earned rave reviews. How is composing for an
international director like Danny Boyle different from composing forSubhash
Ghai or Mani Ratnam?
A:
Danny Boyle seemed like someone I had known from my salad days. He
loved the music I liked to experiment with during my earlier days as a
music composer. It was almost as if I was coming full circle. This was
the stuff I always wanted to do and now I had a director willing to tap
that. It all happened like a flash in two months. Each director is
unique and comes with his different set of experiences. It's like one
man's food is another person's poison but both have their unique
quality. While Mani sir is very futuristic,Ghai saab has an uncanny
understanding of the pulse of the North Indian audience. In a way, working with
Ghai saab helped me learn a lot and I have also unlearnt some stuff.

Q: You were assisting Illayaraja at one point and your assistant Harris Jayaraj
has now branched out independently. When you look back, what thoughts come to
your mind?
A: I think music is a gift to people and you cannot deny it to anyone. People
like Raja sir are a legend and Harris has a great understanding and sense of
setting lyrics to music. I also like music composer Yuvan Shankar.
We meet sometimes dung awards ceremonies. In the pressure of finishing
your work, you end up not listening to the good compositions of others.
You can't casually say this is good or bad.Illayaraja and Harris are both
popular and I respect them.

Q: Harris Jayaraj scored the music for the Tamil version of Ghajini. You've
done so for the Hindi remake. Are you ready for the comparisons?
A:
(Laughs) Yes there will be good and bad comparisons. But, I am prepared
for them. No can replace anyone. I have not seen the original Tamil
film because I didn't want to be influenced by it. I wanted to finish
my work and then watch the film.

Q: What roles has your apprenticeship with Illayaraja played in the music
person that you are today?
A: Err... Illayaraja's influence is so overwhelming on everyone in Tamil Nadu,
it almost permeates your body. I respect his music so much. But just to
get my style in, I had to stay away from his music. In the past when I
have said that people read it out of context and things got
misunderstood.

Q: You mentioned you had fights with Subhash Ghai over the music of Yuvvraaj.
A:
(Giggles) Oh I said that to make conversations with journalists spicy.
Otherwise, it's boring. Well, we had creative differences, just
agreeing to disagree , deciding on what works best for the film and
trying to strike a balance between what we like and what the producers
want.

Q: This is the first time you have composed for Salman Khan. Was he involved in
the music?
A: No, this is the second time. I did a film earlier called Dil Ne Jise Apne
Kaha, which he starred in. I did two songs for the film but couldn't complete
it as something came up for me in London.

Q: You have a yen for sufi numbers and most of the time you end up singing them
as well. What's your take on sufism? Are you sufi at heart?
A:
I try to be one but nobody can be. It's tough to, in this materialistic
world. Sometimes you switch off from everything and you are at peace.
That training of mine is a real boon. Of course, a lot of music is
being passed off as Sufi music these days. But very few of them have
the real soul. Most of them don't.

Q: It seems a filmmaker needs a great amount of patience to work with you.