From: Vithur <vith...@gmail.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:25:25 AM
Subject: Re: [arr] DesiHits interviews ARR

Message for everyone

" Always buy the Original CD"

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Gopal Srinivasan <catchg...@yahoo. com> wrote:

Exclusive Interview: A.R. Rahman
December 15 2008 11:00 PST
He is one of the most successful artists of all time! A.R. Rahman continues to
redefine contemporary Indian music. Named the 'Mozart of Madras' by Time
Magazine, A.R. Rahman has sold over 100 albums. A. R. Rahman shared his
thoughts on his work for, 'Slumdog Millionaire'. A film that A.R. Rahman is
nominated for at the 66th Golden Globe awards in the 'Best Original Score-
Motion Picture' category. He also
informed us about his upcoming projects and his feeling in regards to
the Mumbai attacks. Read the Interview by Anita Chatterjee below.
DH! It's a pleasure to interview you, as always you are working on some
exciting projects, tell us about them.
Rahman: Right now I just finished 'Ghajini', and now I am waiting for the
release of my Nokia album called 'Connection'.
DH! You've worked on some amazing projects this year. What would you consider
to be some of your personal favorites?
Rahman: My biggest I would say is establishing the KM music conservatory
(Rahman's institution that teaches tech savvy sound engineers the basics of
composing and importance of technology and the basics of sound
recording in Chennai.) That is in terms of my projects apart from movies. Some
great movies I have worked on this year are, 'Jodhaa Akbar', 'Ada' and 'Slumdog
Millionaire' to top it off. It's been a great year, however the end of the year
was rough as my close friend and sound engineer, H. Sridhar passed away and of
course the Mumbai attacks.
DH! What are your thoughts on the Mumbai Attacks?
Rahman: I was recording a song that day and I felt completely destroyed
creatively and mentally.
DH! How did you get involved with 'Slumdog Millionaire'?
Rahman: I suddenly got a call from Danny( Danny Boyle) and I said yes, he sent
me a DVD of the film and I sent him my ideas.
DH! You did an amazing job capturing the essence of each scene in the movie
through your music. Was it this a difficult task?
Rahman: Danny works in a way that music highlights every moment of his film, so
that made things a whole lot easier.
DH! Was it your idea to work with M.I.A ?
Rahman: No, it was Danny's, but I knew who she was and I looked forward to
working with her.
DH! What was it like to work with M.I.A?
Rahman: It was fun, she is so energetic and full of ideas and she is also an
amazing visionary.
DH! There was a lot of buzz about your recreation of 'Choli Ki Peeche', in the
film. What made you bring a version of this song back?
Rahman: I needed to capture early nineties feel and this song did it.
DH! : You have worked on other projects in the west. How was your experience
working on 'Slumdog Millionaire' compared to the rest?
Rahman: This was easier because it was more about
the Indian culture and I just had to create certain sounds that were
also friendly for western audiences. The first film I worked on, The
Golden Age had nothing Indian about it. That was my first major western
project but it's completely different from 'Slumdog Millionaire'.
DH!: What was it like working with Danny Boyle and his team?
Rahman: I was inspired when I met Danny's team, the team really pushed
creativity.
DH! Would you like to do more collaborations in the west?
Rahman: Well I have met a lot of people in the U.S. and I would probably want
to collaborate with Stevie Wonder.
DH! Who do you want to collaborate with in India?
Rahman: In India I am interested in new discoveries of talent.
DH! Do you have a message you would like to send out to our readers?
Rahman: Thank you for all the love and support and always purchase the original
CD!

http://www.desihits .com/blog/ article/exclusiv e-interview- ar-rahman-
20081215/

--