Slumdog is NOT an Indian Movie. Why do we always have this stupid
attachment thing? It is a British Film, about an Indian Boy. Simple.
We did the same thing when Sunita Williams went to the Moon(?).

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Vithur <vith...@...> wrote:

> 2008 was a year of exploration for Bollywood. Very few movies hewed
to the
> cliched formula of rich boy/poor girl/disapproving parents that the
industry
> has been mercilessly lampooned for over the years. The introduction
of
> corporate entities in funding and the economics of the multiplex
made it
> possible for young filmmakers to make smaller, more experimental
movies and
> be assured of a reasonable amount of success. Stars like Shahrukh
Khan and
> Aamir Khan sat on the bench this year, allowing younger talent to
emerge.

> It feels like the era of the superstar may be over, which is
probably not a
> bad thing for the future of the Hindi movie industry. it also feels
like the
> hegemony of big studios has been disrupted , with big showy films
with known
> leads tanking at the box office. Bollywood went back to the drawing
board
> this year, looking for good scripts and low-key, non-intrusive
direction.
> Directors un-apologetically made urban movies, (which may explain
the
> unexpected success of the lone rural movie - *Welcome to
Sajjanpur*.)

> Not all the experiments were successes. Many low-budget movies,
made with
> the best of intentions, tanked at the box-office. There was
*Dasvidaniya*,
> the Vinay Pathak starrer and *The Last Lear*, a self-indulgent
movie that
> did not succeed despite the presence of Amitabh, who also starred
in another
> low-key dud, *Bhootnath*. Still, the industry deserves an E for
effort. If
> the trend is towards strong scripts filmed on lesser-known actors,
I am all
> for it. It is about time we created our Pacinos, Hoffmans and De
Niros.

> Here are the top 5 movies of 2008 in ascending order -
>
> 5. <http://waternoice.com/wp-content/uploads/jodha-akbar.jpg>*Jodha
Akbar* -
> Ashutosh Gowarikar's paean to the best loved Mughal emperor, *Jodha
> Akbar*stands out as a lavish historical that worked, mostly due to
the
> gorgeous
> Hrithik Roshan, who transformed people's idea of Akbar from a
podgy, stodgy
> medieval ruler to a character straight from the cover of a romantic
fantasy.
> The battle scenes were beautifully shot and the chemistry between
Hrithik
> and Aishwarya as Jodha kept the long movie from getting tedious.
Even though
> the existence of Jodha is historically suspect, audiences took
their kids
> along to give them a history lesson come to life.
>
> 4. <http://waternoice.com/wp-content/uploads/jaane-tu.jpg>*Jaane TuÂ…
ya jaane
> na** *- Talented scriptwriter Abbas Tyrewalla made his directing
debut with
> this movie, a sweet college+ romance that introduced us to another
talented
> member of Aamir Khan's family, the innocent looking Imran Khan.
With a
> perfect musical score by Rahman and a wholesome script, the movie
got great
> word-of-mouth and did very well at the box office. Imran later
attempted to
> play against his chocolatey looks in *Kidnap*, but that movie sank
without a
> trace.
>
> 3. <http://waternoice.com/wp-content/uploads/rock-on.jpg>*Rock On* -
> Bollywood's first movie about a rock band which did not devolve
into a
> Mithun Chakraborty parody, *Rock On* was a surprisingly intelligent
movie
> made by Abhishek Kapoor, with director Farhan Akhtar( *Dil Chahta
Hai, Don*)
> in front of the camera as the lead. The excellent script and subdued
> direction made me go back and check out the director's previous
movie, *
> Aryan*, which turned out to be tolerable and could have made waves
if cast
> better. Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy's authentic rock music gave the
movie a lot
> of credibility, though I could have done without the actors singing
their
> own songs. Remember how you always felt you could do a good job
singing
> Hindi songs in a Karaoke bar? In this case, you really can do
better than
> the actual singers!
>
> 2. <http://waternoice.com/wp-
content/uploads/a_wednesday_poster1.jpg>*A
> Wednesday* - A bona-fide thriller in the mould of *The Negotiator*,
a Samuel
> Jackson/Kevin Spacey movie, *A Wednesday* was remarkable because it
cast
> Anupam Kher and Naseeruddin Shah as the leads, a risky proposition
at the
> box office. A gripping plot and terrific ensemble acting elevated
this
> low-budget production to one of the best movies to emerge out of
Bollywood
> this year . With a terrorism infused plot that is enormously
relevant in the
> current environment, it would be great if *A Wednesday* made the
shortlist
> for Oscar entries from India.
>
> 1. <http://waternoice.com/wp-content/uploads/slumdog1.jpg>*Slumdog
> Milionaire* - Though this movie was directed by an Englishman,
*Slumdog
> Millionaire* is pure Bollywood. Danny Boyle perfectly captures the
> masala-infused atmosphere of Mumbai, where slums and high-rises
coexist
> uneasily, where a chaiwalla can dream of being a millionaire. A.R.
Rahman
> once again demonstrates his brilliance with a score that is jangly
and
> discordant at times, electric at others, making it an integral part
of the
> fast-paced action adventure. The high-octane drama also captured the
> imagination of the venerable folks over at the Academy of Motion
Picture
> Arts and Sciences in Hollywood and it is generating Oscar buzz.
>  http://waternoice.com/2008/12/19/top-5-bollywood-movies-of-2008/
>
> --
> regards,
> Vithur

  • ... Vithur
    • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .