http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/musicreview/10778.html

Delhi-6 Music Review

Print

E-mail this

Delhi-6 - Bedazing tunes unveiled

IndiaGlitz  [Tuesday, January 20, 2009]

Fine! 2008 has been the most stupefying year for Rahman fans and you know why?
'Jodha Akbar', 'Jaane Ya Tu Jaane Na', 'Yuvvraaj', 'Ghajini' and 'Slumdog
Millionaire; Well, it's been a 'Rahaman-ia' with prodigious tunes of unique
genres. Be it 'Tu Hi Meri Dost', 'Jai Ho', 'Pappu Can't Dance Saala' or
'Guzarish, everything has been a grandiloquent spell from our Modern Day
Mozart. Here comes, the duo Rahman-Rakeysh Om Prakash who persuaded splendidly
with 'Rang De Basanthi'.
Perhaps for Delhi-6, couple of songs 'Masakali' and 'Maula' continuously aired
round-the- clock shot our adrenalines looking out for other numbers. And here
comes the most spectacular album and precisely, they are mere exceptional from
Rahman's compositions for previous year. Appositely, its never-heard-before
tunes that'll get you transfixed…  Indeed, Rahman offers 'Dus Dhamaka' with
panache and every number is gonna top the charts.
Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein)
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Gowariker, Shraddha Pandit, Sujata Majumdar
It's Prasoon's heart-warming lyrics making the song exceptional in the album.
Looks like, it's heard during line of narration on the screens. Patently,
Rahman is so special when blending such melody with simple instrumentations.
Yup! All throughout 180secs, merely we hear a single-noted Veena with simple
beats on cymbals blended with a mesmerizing choral humming. Perhaps, an ardent
fan of Rahman should've heard off similar genre in his Tamil composition for
'Alaipaayudhe   Kanna'…
Arziyan
Singers: Javed Ali, Kailash Kher
Sufism so close to Rahman's heart drives him tuning such melodies of that sort.
Of course, it's so illustrious with his previous piece of music for 'Pia Haji
Ali', 'Khwaja Mere Kwaja'. And again, here's one more on the same lines. A
lengthy duration of 9mins has Tabla and Harmoniums accompanied by the glorious
voice of Javed Ali and Kailash Kher. Prasoon Joshi gears up for yet another
devotional song like previous one Rahman's pick of perfect singers makes turns
spotlights.
Both 'Aarti' and 'Arziyan' devotional hymns of different religions and yet
Rahman's overblown composition diminishes those factors and gets the listeners
mesmerized sans barriers.
Bhor Bhaye
Singers: Shreya Ghosal, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Gujri Todi
Maestro proves of his splendid touch on 'Hindustani Ghazal' with same
instrumentations of Tabla and Harmonium used in previous song. We have an
evergreen legend Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan rendering his voice. Shreya Ghosal
adds colour with shifting octaves on her continuous-running voice and Gujri
Todi makes it with finesse. Sounds like a live-recording and possibly Rahman
should have spelled so for a naturalistic touch of show on a dais.