Despite a huge reservoir of musical talent, international honours in the
field haven't exactly been our forte. Until the Golden Globe met AR Rahman
last Sunday. Now, the focus is on the Grammy Awards — the biggest music
awards in the world — which take place in February and where India has
scored four nominations.

Apart from Debashish Bhattacharya's Calcutta Chronicle and Lakshmi Shankar's
Dancing in the Light in the Best Traditional Music Album category, those in
line for the gilded gramophone include the Bob Belden-produced Miles From
India and John McLaughlin's (picture) Floating Point under Blue Frog Records
India, both in the Contemporary Jazz album category. "With Rahman's win, all
eyes will be on us," says Louis Banks, co-producer, Miles from India. The
Grammys are not alien to us though few Indian musicians have managed to
secure the trophy in its 50-year history. Percussionist Bickram Ghosh, a
four-time nominee, says, "An Indian album has the maximum chance of winning
a Grammy when it's recorded abroad. Even when Pandit Ravi Shankar and I won
the award in 2002 for Full Circle, it was under the Angel Music label."

http://www.ejazznews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=10132&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
--
regards,
Vithur