Fm Rainbow Interview ( contd )

You have composed many songs based on many Raagas. In particular, " Kannodu
Kanbathellam" is based on the Bhimplas. " Minsara Kanna" based on Vasantha,
and " Sowkiyama Kanne" based on a North Indian rag Maand.

Singer Nityashree Mahadevan

" Salutations to you Rahman Sir. I am Nityashree Mahadevan. While, I had
worked with you, I have known your stupendous and infinite knowledge on
Swara type of music. You have told us the Swarams even for very difficult
portions.

For eg :- " Sala Sala Sala Sala Rettai Kilavi…………….."

Sir used to tell us the minutest anuswarams of the song. I have full faith
that he has indepth knowledge on Carnatic Music, and has very sharp ears for
the same. This is for certain, as he had explained to me such intricate
complex Swarams, so as to make me understand the same.

Have you composed any song, on any Raag that you have thought before hand or
in your mind ?

For eg ;- the Kamas, Mohanam or Sivaranjini Raagas.

Have you felt that you should compose a tune for a particular raga ? You
have composed a lot of songs which are raga based.

" Ottagatha Kattiko" is also a Raaga based song. The Raaga is Dharmavathi.
In fact very heavy ragas like the ' Naatakurinji" raga has been used for "
En Veetu Thottatil". Do you have any aspiration to do a film, which would be
of Carnatic style ?

ARR :- I am very thankful to you, as a praise from you is certainly a big
thing for me. Many people are still saying that I am a recorder and haven't
accepted me as a Composer. The songs of K.V. Mahadevan have lot of raga
influence in them. I think, he was a Nadaswaram Player. Balu Sir used to
tell me that K.V. Mahadevan used to love Nadaswaram a lot. In the same way,
his tune also used to have all that. While composing a song, when I used to
compose it in Rag Yaman, it used to sound like Raja Sir song, or KVM or MSV
Sir's song. So, when thinking as to how to do it, I thought of doing with
North Indian ragas. We can do it with Desh, Mand or Peeru ( I am not sure if
this is the correct name), or we can do it in darbari. I started doing it
with that perspective, and coincidentally, it started reaching North Indian
audience also. The intention of trying to fix North Indian raga style to
make South Indians hear turned the other way around, and North Indians
started liking it.

The ragas which I like are the challenging ragas. Whenever music is composed
out of ragas, it is appreciated by music loving people, but it doesn't reach
the normal audience. But if we try doing something in some ragas, it reaches
the common people.

Recently, there was a song based on Raga Ritigowla which became a hit. I did
a song "Azhagana Ratchasiye" in that raga. I like Raag Bhatia the most. It's
a very unusual raga. Of course, Sindhu Bairavi is evergreen. I think each
and every composer will have a talent of his one. Its important to see how
each one of them bring out the essence of the raga, and get the feel out of
the unheard portion, and it's a big thing. But , I haven't listened to any
song in recent times, with such a push. i.e. wherein the raga is pushed and
when it sounds different.

For eg :- There is a Bangladeshi song ( He sings a portion of the raag ) .
At one point, in the song, it looks like Yaman . So, such innovative
compositions are good and the youngsters must do the same. I think I am also
young ( smiles ) . I also have a desire to do a Carnatic Musical based
movie, but haven't found the time for it. Thank you very much.

--
regards,
Vithur