*Winning Oscar is my wife's dream: Rahman*
 Sanjay Pinto/Jeevan Prakash
Friday, January 23, 2009 8:55 AM (Chennai)

*Read*: *I want to enjoy the moment:
Rahman*<http://music.ndtv.com/Music_Story.aspx?id=ENTEN20090081057&type=musicindia>
*Pics*: *A R Rahman creates
history<http://music.ndtv.com/GalleryDetails.aspx?category=Music&id=3279&Section=&pglctn=glrlstg&ch=1/12/2009%2012:00:00%20AM>
*
*Special*: *A R
Rahman<http://music.ndtv.com/general/Home.aspx?template=ARRAHMAN>
*
*Pics*: *Golden Globe for A R
Rahman<http://music.ndtv.com/GalleryDetails.aspx?category=Music&id=3277&Section=&pglctn=glrlstg&ch=1/12/2009%2012:00:00%20AM>
*
*Wish Rahman <http://music.ndtv.com/captionthis/AR-Rahmangoldenglobe.aspx>*

A R Rahman is on top of the world after he became the first Indian to win
three Oscar nominations for *Slumdog Millionaire*. He has been nominated in
the Best Original Score and Best Original Song categories for two of his
compositions, *Jai ho* and *O Saya*.

"For me its a triumph because people in India have been longing for
something like this. Since its come through me for the first time I feel
really honoured. I thank Danny Boyle, Fox pictures and all those lovely
people including my agents from there," said Rahman after receiving the
news.

"In fact winning an Oscar is not my dream, it's my wife dream," said the
legend.

Talking about the two songs that have been nominated, Rahman said that he
conceived and recorded *Jai Ho* here in India, while the other one *O
Saya*was recorded in London.

He expressed his gratitude to lyricist Gulzar and said, "I thank him a lot.
I admire him for the words he has written for the song *Jai Ho*. In fact, I
thank all the musicians and people who worked with me to achieve this. What
is more encouraging for me is the response from the Hollywood. Actors like
Tom Cruise admired my work which is a great satisfaction."

Rahman disagreed to the ongoing controversy depicting Indian poverty in the
film. He said, "I am very conscious of what we are presenting to the world
about our culture and society. The film is all about optimism. It's about
coming out of darkness. It instills optimism."

Asked how was it working with director Danny Boyle, Rahman said, "It was
just great. He heard my
music<http://music.ndtv.com/Music_Story.aspx?id=ENTEN20090081092&type=musicindia#>and
liked it. I regard him as one of the great directors of Hollywood."

A visibly happy Rahman's mother Karima said, "Everyone in the family is very
happy for him. he should get the award."

Hollywood may just be beginning to recognise composer A R Rahman's
versatality after he became the first Indian to win a Golden Globe, but a
little known fact about Rahman is that he has sold over 200 million albums
worldwide, which is more than Madonna and Britney Spears combined.

No stranger to the international music scene Rahman joined hands with
British impresario Andrew Loyd Webber's 2002 for Bollywood themed
musical *Bombay
Dreams*.

Rahman has also composed music for the Chinese film *Warriors of Heaven and
Earth*. In 2006 the West end invited Rahman once again to compose the music
for the stage production of JR Tolkien's *Lord of the
Rings<http://music.ndtv.com/Music_Story.aspx?id=ENTEN20090081092&type=musicindia#>
*. The composer is now set to collaborate with Kylie Minogue for *A R Rahman
the world is a stage*.

http://music.ndtv.com/Music_Story.aspx?id=ENTEN20090081092&type=musicindia

--
regards,