Hi friends,

Happy New Year to everyone! Seems like a lot of change is happening in
the last few weeks with President Obama taking over, Bollywood making
a huge impact on Hollywood via Slumdogg..... I am of course so happy
for my good friend A.R. Rahman for all the awards and nominations and
wish the best for him.

Its been a time of change for me too, having welcomed my little
daughter Katyayini into this world three weeks back and realizing that
she could just be the world's youngest deadhead! (one afternoon, she
was found sleeping to long, live jams of
Fire on the mountain, Uncle John's Band and other miscellaneous
goodies of hippiedom!)

I am thrilled to see a film I composed the music for called 'Smile
Pinki', get nominated for the Oscars in the "Best Documentary - short
subject" category. This is a moving film telling the tale of two poor
children in India who were born with a cleft lip whose lives are soon
about to change, when a dedicated social worker finds a way out for
them to undergo surgery and give them hope for a better future! The
film is directed by acclaimed New York filmmaker Megan Mylan who had
done wonderful films earlier such as 'The Lost Boys of Sudan'. Talking
of change, this is also the first musical score that I did that's
completely Hindustani music-based with an occasional passing nod to
Carnatic (certainly no snakebanger's ball or ragabop type stuff in there)!

I hope 'Smile Pinki' can make us all 'smile' at the Oscars and bring
more change to those beautiful children!

More info on

Smile Pinki at http://www.principeproductions.org
Nominations at http://www.oscars.com
Smile Train - a great charity for cleft lip - http://www.smiletrain.org/

Hope to see you all soon! Oh, BTW, my web site has undergone a huge
change and we just got it up there so check it out!

Didn't realize I liked the word change so much, after all I did an
album once called Be the Change, didn't I?

Best,
Prasanna
http://www.guitarprasanna.com
http://myspace.com/guitaristprasanna