Damn well written man! You can feel AR's spirituality when he sings
the higher notes in Khwaja mere Khwaja, I feel like am the one
calling out to God. In my opinion there would be many brilliant MD
who'd come and go, but NOBODY can take AR's place, thats coz with AR,
the songs are more than what its by other MD's. There's some connect
with the songs that drive you all along.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "Chord" <purev...@...> wrote:

> Rahman's musical brilliance has been proven time and time again.
> Awards followed by awards followed by awards followed by more!  He
has
> gained international recognition, a crowning achievement for one of
> the greatest, if not the greatest composer of our times.  And much
> more to come.....
>
> Among our Indian MDs, there are very talented others too.  SEL,
Vishal
> Shekhar, Vishal Bharadwaj, Shantanu Moitra, and many others from the
> South and North.  I appreciate their music a lot and have collected
> various amazing soundtracks by them.  A newcomer, Amit Trivedi, has
> been getting a lot of attention for his work in Aamir and now Dev
D.
> [...]
> or versatile, etc." And granted, he has shown tremendous musical
> creativity in his two soundtracks.  But, here's what I am missing:
> The music does not pull on my heartstrings, does not mesmerize me,
> does not uplift me spiritually, does not touch my inner soul.
> Rahman's music can do that.  And again, if there are Amit fans here,
> this admission is not at all to take away from this man's talent and
> potential, for which he has abundance.  It's only my opinion.
>
> I had this discussion with another friend and fellow group member
and
> ARR fan and we came to the same agreement that Rahman brings that
> extra special quality to his music:  His spirituality.  While his
> musical raw talent, creativity, and overall brilliance is something
> that does set him part, it's not THE most outstanding part of his
> music for me even though it is special.  Recently, Rahman even
> mentioned that it's his spiritual immersion that keeps his
creativity
> going and is a big part of his music making process.  Spirituality
> does not necessarily mean devotional songs.  The spirituality in
> Rahman's music can even be felt in some of his rocking/faster
numbers.
>  It's that subtle yet powerful impact, probably created by a unique
> and unreplicable combination of sounds, chords, chord sequences,
> styles, musical structures, abstract aesthetics, deeper layers of
> music, etc. that infuse that amazing effect on me, which I describe
as
> very spiritual.  How he uses that constant string chordal hum in
many
> of his songs as a backdrop definitely adds to that spiritual quality
> of his music.  Rahman's music goes deeper than just heing enjoyed,
> entertaining, or appreciated for its brilliance.  That extra "X"
> factor is in fact the spiritual component of his music that nobody
> else has been able to have as great of an effect on me til today. I
> also admit that the lines between the spiritual and intellectual
parts
> of his music are not as categorically separate and probably more
> blurred and interrelated than what I'm leading on here.
>
> Appreciation of music is very personal.  Just because the man next
> me does not feel that spirituality in Rahman's music like I do or
love
> or appreciate Rahman's music like I do does not make him musically
> inferior or lacking taste necessarily.  This world needs different
> opinions for things to keep going in harmony and that includes
various
> tastes and preferences.  If everyone was a Rahman fan, we as fans
> wouldn't have the same joy.  And to add, even though I'm a
passionate
> Rahman fan, it doesn't mean I love each and every song he creates.
>
> Thanks for reading.  Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.

  • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .