http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/3200

Meet Oscar®-Nominated
Composer A.R. Rahman
Although most Americans had heard of neither A.R. Rahman nor
his music until recently, the 43-year-old composer is a giant in his
native India. Rahman is now a Golden Globe® winner for "Best Original
Soundtrack" for SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and has been nominated for three
Oscars® for the film, for best original score and two best original
songs.
Educate yourself about this world-renowned musician below! And don't
miss the two videos at the bottom of the post - of his acceptance of
the Golden Globe®  on January 11th and an interview he participated in
with South Asia's Desi You!
On His Resumé: Wikipedia:
 "Allah Rakkha Rahman is a Academy Award®-nominated and National Film Award-
and Golden Globe®-winning Indianfilm composer, record producer and musician.
His work has garnered considerable acclaim and a large global fanbase since his
film scoring career began in the early 1990s."
 "Working
in several of India's various film industries, international cinema and
theatre, by 2003, Rahman, in a career spanning over a decade, has sold more
than 100 million records of his film scores and soundtracks worldwide,
and sold over 200 million cassettes making him one of the world's
all-time top selling recording artists. His acclaimed music
compositions have led TIME Magazine to declare him the 'Mozart of Madras'..."
On His Music: The Associated Press (Jan. 25th):

"Rahman has composed music for more than 130 Indian films,
incorporating jazz, rock, Indian pop and Western classical music. 'He
changed the entire concept of Indian film music,' said Subir Malik,
another well-known Indian musician who described Rahman as 'a very,
very experimental guy.' The two Oscar-nominated songs follow his tradition of
mixing globe-spanning styles. 'Jai Ho' blends classic Indian pop with
electronica and
Brazilian-inspired drums. 'O Saya' features eclectic British sensation
M.I.A., who co-wrote the song with Rahman."
"Only two Indians have won at the Oscars® so far — costume designer Bhanu
Athaiya won for GANDHI in 1982 and noted
filmmaker Satyajit Ray was honored with a lifetime achievement award in
1992."
'We have been waiting for this for nearly 80 years,
haven't we? I am so elated,' A.R. Rahman told The Hindu on Thursday,
soon after the Academy Award nominations were declared."
On A.R., the Man: India'sEconomic Times (Jan. 23rd):
"His father, a music composer himself, died when he was nine and his family had
to rent out musical equipment to make ends meet. But, his mother... ensured
that financial strife did not come in the way of her son's aspirations."
"[A.R.] plans to open a music school that will train people in orchestral music.
'Today the idea of music is composing for films, which is exciting and
good for the film industry but not good for art,' he had told ET. 'So,
my music school will be to start an orchestra and raise awareness about
orchestral music. And in India, every state is different so I thought
we'd have one orchestra that says it all. It is also a bridge for our
culture, to export our culture,' said modern India's best known
ambassador. "
On What His Success Means to Indians: India's Business Standard (Jan. 28th):
"He's
enabled Indian music to move onto the international stage... A.R.
Rahman winning the Golden Globe® for his music for SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
is probably the most significant thing to have happened to the music
industry in India in a long time... There is no other Indian composer more
deserving of recognition than Rahman. Many people have been looking at Rahman’s
winning the award as something of a national achievement and in terms of Indian
music and its artistes being put on the world map."
 Mr. Rahman, who felt on 'top of the world,' said he
was getting offers from Hollywood producers to provide the musical
score for their films, ever since his musical score for SLUMDOG
MILLIONAIRE won the Golden Globe award. Asked whether the Indian film
industry would lose him to Hollywood, Mr. Rahman quipped, 'I will do a
balancing act.'"  - India's The Hindu
On His Spirituality: The Times Of India (Jan. 24th):

"[A.R.] said, 'Religious sounds rather vulgar these days, I am more of a
spiritual person... For me and my music, spirituality is the most important
element and I don't think I can create the kind of music I do, if I don't
practice spirituality.'  A source close to the musician revealed, 'Even
when Rahman has a tedious schedule, he makes it a point to offer Namaaz
five times a day, especially so after the awards.'"
Visit A.R. Rahman's Official Web Site
Learn More About A.R. Rahman On Wikipedia and IMDB

      Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Grab now
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address