India is celebrating Rahman’s win and hoping for an Oscar. What does this
recognition mean for the Indian music industry?
Rahman Sir deserved this recognition a long time ago. He has managed to take
India to a different level. It’s time to celebrate, for sure. But now that the
world is looking at us, we need to be careful in what we do.

Are you referring to plagiarism in the Indian music industry?
Yes. Composers need to realise that we are in the spotlight now. There is no
escaping if they pass off someone else’s music as their own. But more than
that, I think it’s time we started promoting Indian classical and folk music,
which is dying due to lack of proper exposure. Since Bollywood is such a great
global platform, we need to promote what’s our own, rather than do something
which is borrowed. And honestly, not all composers are cut out to do Western
music.

So you think Indian composers can’t pull off Western music?
Some of them are great, but some are trying too hard. One cannot deny that the
music these ‘wannabes’
compose, go on to become a hit. Composers need to stick to music they are good
at, instead of jumping on the bandwagon. Music today lacks melody.

Going back to Rahman, you’ve sung for many of his projects. Do you wish you
were part of Slumdog Millionaire too?
Like every singer, I wish I was part of the project. But I don’t feel bad about
missing out, because every singer that Rahman Sir has worked with in the film,
has done a great job. I’m an audience first and then a singer. So, I’m happy
for everyone who has been a part of this project. Rahman Sir is absolutely
original and unique.

You’ve also sung for composers who are serial offenders in plagiarism. Aren’t
you apprehensive before recording with them?
Inside the recording studio, a singer is only concerned about the song. There
is no time to think about
plagiarism. But the very same ‘inspired’ number goes on to become a hit. No one
really cares. It’s a busy life.

All your songs are romantic and sugary. You haven’t sung a single ‘item number’
till date. Are you stuck in a mould?
Maybe. But I think ‘item number’ is the wrong term to use here. I would rather
call them discotheque songs. And I’ve sung numbers like Yeh Ishq Hai which is a
huge hit at nightclubs. I’m happy with the kind of work I’m doing, since there
is so much variety

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Buzz/Todays_music_lacks_melody_Shreya/articleshow/4057355.cms