*Grammy for Sukhwinder Singh?
*02 Feb, 2009 06:00 am ISTlRenuka Vyavahare/INDIATIMES MOVIES
      Print<http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-4054531,prtpage-1.cms>
   EMail <javascript:openWindowmail('/mail/4054531.cms');>  Discuss
Share<javascript:void(0)>
 Save <javascript:showdivlayer('4054531','t','close');>
Comment<http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4054531.cms#write>
Text:

Be it Dard-E-Disco, Chak De India , Rut Aa gayi Re from 1947 Earth, Chaiyya
Chaiyya , Ramta Jogi from Taal, Kava Kava from Monsoon Wedding , Jalwa from
Fashion and Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire... This singer has been
consistent in singing chartbuster numbers. Sukhvinder Singh got candid
with Renuka
Vyavahare about his Oscar nominated song ' Jai Ho ' and his reaction to him
deserving a Grammy for is vocal talent.

Rahman has won three Oscar nominations for Jai ho. Are you expecting a
Grammy nomination too?
I am actually a Slumdog Millionaire. I had nothing when I started singing
and few songs of mine have made me a millionaire! I am more than happy for
Rahman and his three nominations at the Oscars. The fact that Jai Ho has
been such a huge hit internationally itself is my Grammy award.

So all geared up to perform live at the Oscars with Rahman?
I am leaving for Chennai tomorrow and only then will I know what will be my
role at the ceremony. I have to first sit and personally wish Rahman for his
Oscar nominations.

Do you feel sidelined in spite of having sung a song which has become a
worldwide hit?
Working with Rahman means everything to me and frankly when I sing at live
concerts the audiences enjoy my song from Fashion (Jalwa) more than anything
else. My other song this year that has been a big hit is Haule Haule and I
am happy with all my songs. I have sung limited but different and interested
numbers.

Did you ever feel that Jai Ho and Slumdog will become such a huge hit?
I always knew that Rahman will be nominated for Oscars as well as Golden
Globe. I always call him Mr International as his music sounds very western.
He doesn't agree with me though and says "Sukhvinder, just concentrate." As
far as me predicting Jai Ho's success is concerned, when you record with
Rahman you have no clue which film the song is going to get used in. I never
knew he was going to use Ramta Jogi for Taal, Rut Aa gayi Re for 1947 Earth
etc so likewise didn't know Jai Ho will be in Slumdog! But always knew the
song was great and required me to sing naughtily.

So Rahman is unpredictable?
Absolutely, when Rahman, Gulzaar saab and I get together we just work for
our love for music and songs. Be it at any hour of the night, day, noon...
Rahman just calls you in his studio and makes you sing! Many a times you are
not even completely awake to sing!

What is next on cards?
I am planning to launch a music album with Rahman and his music school will
also be actively involved in it.
http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4054531.cms

--
regards,