This Sunday, the BAFTA awards will take place.   The winners will be
announced via press release before the broadcast but it will be airing
in America on the BBC at 8pm Eastern and 5pm Pacific.  We will already
know the winners by then but it will be fun to watch!  InContention’s Guy Lodge
will be live-blogging them.
There were a couple of things last year that were shockingly similar
to the Oscars - which begs the question again, have the BAFTA become
THE awards body to look to in predicting the Academy?  Their choices
always seemed a little wacky but looking over last year’s winners -
Marion Cotillard, Tilda Swinton and then the Bourne Ultimatum in the
sound categories.  On the other hand, Atonement beat No Country for Old
Men for Best Picture and the Diving Bell beat No Country for
screenplay.  So how accurate are they?  And why is it they are SO
accurate on some categories but not so much on the “big” categories?

I think you could say, when all else fails rely on their love for
God and country.  I am imagining John Cleese explaining the BAFTAs in
his foppish voice.  The British seem to side with themselves when given
the opportunity but it certainly isn’t always the case.   That’s where
I personally run into problems when predicting the Oscars off the
BAFTA; I always assume that the odd winners happened because they were
British.  And that the Academy wouldn’t follow suit.  But the
similarities lately have been too strong to ignore.  Americans are
forever playing catch-up to the smarter, classier British!
With that, let’s take a pointless look at how we think it might go.
BEST FILM

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Kathleen Kennedy / Frank Marshall / Ceán
Chaffin

FROST/NIXON  Tim Bevan / Eric Fellner / Brian Grazer / Ron Howard

MILK  Dan Jinks / Bruce Cohen

THE READER  Anthony Minghella / Sydney Pollack / Donna Gigliotti / Redmond
Morris

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Christian Colson
I really think Slumdog is going to clean sweep it, winning the WGA,
the BAFTA, the Eddie and eventually the Oscar so I’m not going to
predict it won’t win here.  What I do think, though, is that if
anywhere is going to feel the brunt of the so-called controversy (which
is wholly unfair and beside the point of these awards and of making
films in the first place) it will be here at the BAFTAs, where the
press is wildly out of control and where scandal tends to reign.
Sorry, Brits, but that’s just the way it is.  We have McDonalds, you
have the scandals.  If it isn’t Slumdog, though, I’m going to guess
it’s either The Reader or Benjamin Button.

Prediction: Slumdog
DIRECTOR

CHANGELING  Clint Eastwood

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  David Fincher

FROST/NIXON  Ron Howard

THE READER  Stephen Daldry

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Danny Boyle

The last time a film won both Picture and Director at the BAFTAs was
when Brokeback Mountain and Ang Lee won.  Brokeback, like Slumdog, was
winning everything (not the SAG ensemble nor the Eddie, however).  So
it’s possible that Danny Boyle and Slumdog will win here.  It’s the
safest prediction.  But in light of their recent pattern of splitting
those awards, who might benefit?   Again, I think it’s down to Daldry
or Fincher, and in light of the London Critics honoring Fincher I would
give him the edge.  But it’s tough to bet against Danny Boyle —
especially since Fincher is American!

Prediction: Danny Boyle

Alternate: David Fincher

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

BURN AFTER READING  Joel Coen / Ethan Coen

CHANGELING  J. Michael Straczynski

I’VE LOVED YOU SO LONG  Philippe Claudel

IN BRUGES  Martin McDonagh

MILK  Dustin Lance Black
Well, this is a tough one.  My first instinct is that McDonagh will
take this but what of Dustin Lance Black and Milk?  And then there are
the Coens.  Smart money would pick the Coens as I sense that Burn After
Reading is going to catch on in the years to come.

Prediction: In Bruges

Alternate: Milk
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Eric Roth

FROST/NIXON  Peter Morgan

THE READER  David Hare

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD  Justin Haythe

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Simon Beaufoy

Oh I think Mr. Beaufoy, for a variety of reasons, wins this in a walk.
Yes, there is Peter Morgan to contend with here.  They don’t have the
same stigma on the film as we do because it was already a Broadway show
here first.  I also think Brits would appreciate the Nixon saga as told
through the eyes of a Brit than many of us do here.  And then there is
David Hare, famous playwrite who adapted that beloved book.  This is
tough to call but when in doubt, Slumdog it out.

Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire

Alt: Frost/Nixon
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

THE BAADER MEINHOF COMPLEX  Bernard Eichinger / Uli Edel

GOMORRAH  Domenico Procacci / Matteo Garrone

I’VE LOVED YOU SO LONG  Yves Marmion / Philippe Claudel

PERSEPOLIS  Marc-Antoine Robert / Xavier Rigault / Marjane Satrapi / Vincent
Parannaud

WALTZ WITH BASHIR  Serge Lalou / Gerhard Meixner / Yael Nahl Ieli / Ari Folman

Prediction: Waltz with Bashir

Alt: Persepolis
ANIMATED FILM

PERSEPOLIS  Marjane Satrapi / Vincent Parannaud

WALL•E  Andrew Stanton

WALTZ WITH BASHIR  Ari Folman

Oh, tough call here because Waltz is up against Wall-E.  Both
Persepolis and Waltz are in the foreign category as well and if they
are beloved enough both will win in these two categories.  Still…Only a
fool bets against Wall-E (note how Kung-Fu Panda is not nomintated
here).

Prediction: Wall-E!

Alternate: Waltz with Bashir
LEADING ACTOR

FRANK LANGELLA  Frost/Nixon

DEV PATEL  Slumdog Millionaire

SEAN PENN  Milk

BRAD PITT  The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

MICKEY ROURKE  The Wrestler

Wow, this is tough.  I actually saw Milk at a BAFTA screening and they
loved this movie.  Penn has never won a BAFTA, though he’s been
nominated twice before.  This is a really tough call between Mickey
Rourke (who just won the London Film Critics) and Penn (who has
basically won everything else except the Globe).  It’s a really tough
call.  The last time the BAFTA missed Best Actor with Oscar was,
weirdly enough, Sean Penn v. Bill Murray, wher Murray won. The year
before that, Daniel Day-Lewis won the BAFTA for Gangs of New York but
Adrien Brody won the Oscar (most deservedly).  I figure whomever wins
this probably wins the Oscar and since I’m currently predicting Rourke
for the Oscar I suppose I’ll white-knuckle it through.  My instincts
are telling me it’s Penn, though, just for the record.

Prediction: Mickey Rourke

Alt: Sean Penn
LEADING ACTRESS

ANGELINA JOLIE  Changeling

KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS  I’ve Loved You So Long

MERYL STREEP  Doubt

KATE WINSLET  The Reader

KATE WINSLET  Revolutionary Road

Okay, this is tricky because Kate is in twice.  The grand dame Meryl
Streep is up for this award and, if you can believe it, the last time
she won a BAFTA was for The French Lieutenant’s Woman and that was
before they switched the date to make these before the Oscars.  Still,
it’s hard to bet again the very British Ms. Winslet for either part.
There is also the old theory that Winslet cancels herself out and
Streep wins.

Prediction: Kate Winslet for The Reader

Alt: Meryl Streep, Doubt

SUPPORTING ACTOR

ROBERT DOWNEY JR.  Tropic Thunder

BRENDAN GLEESON  In Bruges

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN  Doubt

HEATH LEDGER  The Dark Knight

BRAD PITT  Burn After Reading

If there is a crack in the Heath Ledger vessel it will be felt here, I
suspect.  So if anyone but Heath wins, his Oscar will not be the slam
dunk everyone is assuming it will be.   Still, I’m not going to be the
one who doesn’t predict him since his was among my favorite
performances of the year and he fucking deserves it.

Prediction: Heath Ledger

Alt: Robert Downey, Jr.
SUPPORTING ACTRESS

AMY ADAMS  Doubt

PENÉLOPE CRUZ  Vicky Cristina Barcelona

FREIDA PINTO  Slumdog Millionaire

TILDA SWINTON  Burn After Reading

MARISA TOMEI  The Wrestler

This is a tough one again.  I think it’s down to Penelope Cruz versus
Marisa Tomei and there’s a chance that Tomei and Rourke could win.
There’s always Freida Pinto to contend with.  Liking her character
could prove successful.

Prediction: Penelope Cruz

Alt: Marisa Tomei

Wild card: Freida Pinto

MUSIC

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Alexandre Desplat

THE DARK KNIGHT  Hans Zimmer / James Newton Howard

MAMMA MIA!  Benny Andersson / Björn Ulvaeus

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  A. R. Rahman

WALL•E  Thomas Newman

The Dark Knight should win this but I’m going to bet it’s either Button or
Slumdog, or Wall-E.

Prediction: Slumdog

Alt: Button

CINEMATOGRAPHY

CHANGELING  Tom Stern

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Claudio Miranda

THE DARK KNIGHT  Wally Pfister

THE READER  Chris Menges / Roger Deakins

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Anthony Dod Mantle

These are, I think, five for five for the Oscars too.  I don’t know how
this will go - it’s the same conflicts as predicting it for the Oscar.
Since Button’s strength is how pretty it is, though, it has to be that
film.

Prediction: Button

Alt: Slumdog
EDITING

CHANGELING  Joel Cox / Gary D. Roach

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Kirk Baxter / Angus Wall

THE DARK KNIGHT  Lee Smith

FROST/NIXON  Mike Hill / Dan Hanley

IN BRUGES  Jon Gregory

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Chris Dickens

Again, who knows.  In Bruges could win here but I think The Dark Knight
will have to win something and this could be the one prize it does
win.  I think Slumdog will win the editing Oscar but BAFTA likes to
spread the wealth more.

Prediction: The Dark Knight

Alt: Slumdog
PRODUCTION DESIGN

CHANGELING  James J. Murakami / Gary Fettis

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Donald Graham Burt / Victor J. Zolfo

THE DARK KNIGHT  Nathan Crowley / Peter Lando

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD  Kristi Zea / Debra Schutt

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Mark Digby / Michelle Day

Button deserves this but they clearly liked Changeling enough to give
it all of these nominations and it’s so gorgeous, isn’t it?

Prediction: Changeling

Alt: Button
COSTUME DESIGN

CHANGELING  Deborah Hopper

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Jacqueline West

THE DARK KNIGHT  Lindy Hemming

THE DUCHESS  Michael O’Connor

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD  Albert Wolsky

Prediction: The Duchess

Alt: Button
SOUND

CHANGELING  Walt Martin / Alan Robert Murray / John Reitz / Gregg Rudloff

THE DARK KNIGHT  Lora Hirschberg / Richard King / Ed Novick / Gary Rizzo

QUANTUM OF SOLACE  Eddy Joseph / Chris Munro / Mike Prestwood Smith / Mark
Taylor

SLUMDOG MILLIONARE  Glenn Freemantle / Resul Pookutty / Richard Pryke / Tom
Sayers / Ian Tapp

WALL•E  Ben Burtt / Tom Myers / Michael Semanick / Matthew Wood

Prediction: The Dark Knight

Alt: Wall-E
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Eric Barba / Craig Barron /  Nathan
McGuinness / Edson Williams

THE DARK KNIGHT  Chris Corbould / Nick Davis / Paul Franklin / Tim Webber

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL  Pablo Helman

IRON MAN  Shane Patrick Mahan / John Nelson / Ben Snow

QUANTUM OF SOLACE  Chris Corbould / Kevin Tod Haug

Prediction: Iron Man

Alt. Button
MAKE UP & HAIR

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON  Jean Black / Colleen Callaghan

THE DARK KNIGHT  Peter Robb-King

THE DUCHESS  Daniel Phillips / Jan Archibald

FROST/NIXON  Edouard Henriques / Kim Santantonio

MILK  Steven E. Anderson / Michael White

Prediction: Button

Alt. The Duchess
(SKIPPING THE SHORTS)
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM

HUNGER  Laura Hastings-Smith / Robin Gutch / Steve McQueen / Enda Walsh

IN BRUGES  Graham Broadbent / Pete Czernin / Martin McDonagh

MAMMA MIA!  Judy Craymer / Gary Goetzman / Phyllida Lloyd / Catherine Johnson

MAN ON WIRE  Simon Chinn / James Marsh

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  Christian Colson / Danny Boyle / Simon Beaufoy

Prediction:  Hunger

Alt: Slumdog
THE CARL FOREMAN AWARD for Special Achievement by a British Director, Writer or
Producer for their First Feature Film

SIMON CHINN  Producer – Man On Wire

JUDY CRAYMER  Producer – Mamma Mia!

GARTH JENNINGS  Writer – Son of Rambow

STEVE McQUEEN  Director/Writer – Hunger

SOLON PAPADOPOULOS / ROY BOULTER  Producers – Of Time And The City

Prediction: Steve McQueen

Alt. Simon Chinn
THE ORANGE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)

MICHAEL CERA

NOEL CLARKE

MICHAEL FASSBENDER

REBECCA HALL