Zakir ji is true musician..He knows the spirit of Music..
Geeting Grammys,GGs,Oscars is tough thing for Indians..as West has
monopoly there.. and as an Indian I am proud
of ARR,Ustad Zakir ji and Pt.Bhatt..they all are making us proud

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Bivin Chandra <bivinchan...@...>
wrote:

> After winning a Grammy in the contemporary World Music Album
category for his collaborative album Global Drum Project, Zakir
Hussain says that he sincerely desires that A R Rahman wins an Oscar.

> On being asked to respond to Rahman's global recognition for
Slumdog Millionaire, Zakir Hussain said that, "He is a genius. I
think his talent has been duly recognised now and I am very happy
with that. The best thing about him is that he has consistently
proved himself. He is not a one time wonder. He has delivered
consistently. He has really made us feel very proud. I hope he does
equally fantastic at the Oscars. "

> Talking about his own achievements he says that he is very excited
on his achievement because it was a competition with the great
musicians of the contemporary world music.

> "I look at this win as the reaffirmation of my hard work. This
second time Grammy recognition is the witness of the fact that in
today s modern world I have not fallen behind times. I am up-to-date
in creative contemporary world of music. I am extremely happy and
satisfied with this achievement," said Zakir.

> Zakir Hussain worked with Mickey Hart of the rock band Grateful
Dead, Nigerian percussionist Sikiru Adepoju and Puerto Rican jazz
percussionist Giovanni Hidalgo for the album.

> Global Drum Project is the second collaboration between Hart and
Hussain. Their compilation Planet Drum which was released in 1991
went on to win the first-ever Grammy Award in the World Music
category.

> Asked if he would have felt more satisfactory, had it been a win
for a purely Indian project, he said, "It's true that Global Drum
Project is a collaborative work with western musicians. I will be
happier if a pure Indian project wins a Grammy sometime in future.
Till now the only purely India project which claimed Grammy glory was
Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt's work."

> http://music.ndtv.com/Music_Story.aspx?
id=ENTEN20090083000&type=musicindia