From: rivjot <riv...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [arr] SDm - Box office - India
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 12:36 AM

Hmm how about this article -

'Slumdog Millionare' poised to gross Rs.300 mn in India

Mumbai, Feb 7 (IANS) Oscar contender Slumdog Millionaire, which has
received global critical acclaim and become a worldwide box-office
success, has raked in Rs.215 million since its Jan 23 release in India
and is expected to gross about Rs.300 million."We expect Slumdog
Millionaire to make about Rs.300 million in India. Considering the
fact that it is not one of the formula films, its box-office
performance in India so far is really gratifying. Frankly, it was
beyond our expectations, " Vijay Singh, CEO of Fox Star Studios that
brought the film to India, told IANS.

The money made by the film in India is nearly four percent of its
worldwide collection of Rs.5.30 billion.

Fox Star has released both the English and Hindi versions of Slumdog
Millionaire in India. Expectedly, the Hindi version, "Slumdog
Crorepati" has fared better at the box-office, contributing 30 percent
more to the distributor' s kitty.

"The Hindi version is doing better business in the smaller centres. In
fact, we had to increase the number of prints of the Hindi version in
the second week of its run following the public demand in those
centres," Singh said.

"Slumdog Millionare" opened with Rs.135 million overall and its per
print earnings in second week stood at Rs.592,000 in an average, which
is excellent for a film of its genre when taken into account that as
many 363 prints of the film were in circulation in the second week of
its run in India.

Although the number of prints has been reduced to 350 in the third
week, according to Singh, multiplexes in some cities have increased
the number of shows to cater to the demand.

The heart-warming story of a poor boy from the slums of Mumbai who
goes on to win the Indian version of TV game show "Who Wants To Be A
Millionaire" has won top prizes from the Directors Guild of America,
Screen Actors Guild and Producers Guild of America, as also the Golden
Globes and Critics' Choice Awards.

The film by British Director Danny Boyle is also leading in the Oscar
race with 10 nominations.

--- In arrahmanfans@ yahoogroups. com, $ Pavan Kumar $ <pawancumarr@ ...>
wrote:

> If you want to go by the collections point of view..the movie did
just averege collections from its 2 versions(Hindi & English)...Many
factors have affected its collections, its delayed release in india
and moreover the movie was easily available for download months before
its official release in India..Otherwise with then hype it had
generated it would have been a huge huge hit inspite of  new names &
very limited star appeal

bagged the rights for the Tamil Dubbing of the movie.