He is a special man, an incredible talent with a solid spiritual core. We
talk about the divine, the world and then we laugh and are silly

So You Work a 9 to 5: Interview with Wendy Parr, Songwriter for “Slumdog
Millionaire,” and Vocal Teacher <http://www.girlatastartup.com/?p=789>
Feb 12, 2009
Interview <http://www.girlatastartup.com/?cat=23>,
inspirational<http://www.girlatastartup.com/?cat=22>

It’s a small world after all. Seriously. When I first started out with
auditioning in NYC, I would trudge from job to audition to class, and though
it was rough at times, I could wake up in the morning and feel like I was
alive. I mean, going for what you want is difficult, but when you’re doing
it, you know deep down that you’re making the right decision because you’re
following your gut instincts.

Anyway, I used to take vocal lessons (hence the obsession with karaoke)
with Wendy Parr, <http://www.wendyparr.com/noflash.html> a songwriter,
vocalist and vocal teacher. She was definitely the kind of teacher who gave
constructive criticism in a not-so-harsh way so you could work on your
talents and weaknesses at the same time.  We also wrote several tracks/songs
together, but once I decided to make the move to LA, I thought we’d never
cross paths again.  Then, randomly, I bumped into her during the weekend of
the Golden Globes because she WROTE A SONG for “*SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.”* You
know, that film that won Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and is also a heavy
favorite to win an Academy Award. So ya know, I had to get an interview for
the blog.

<http://www.girlatastartup.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wendy-2.jpg>
*Wendy, what an honor to have you as an interview for girlatastartup.  I’ve
never interviewed anyone whose song is in a film that has been Golden-Globe
and Academy Award nominated. So kick-ass.  So, tell us a bit about your
background. Where are you from?*

I’m born in Northern California, raised in LA, moved to NY for NYU TISCH
drama, and it seems the further East I go the happier I am. I’m living in
Bombay & NYC now. And spend a good deal of my experience traveling — I am a
happy nomad.

*How did you get started as a songwriter? Were your parents supportive of
your creative goals or did they want you to do something more stable?*

I have always been a writer - a desire to share, tell stories. I’ve been
entertaining since I was a kid when I would write & direct after-dinner
performances for my family. I started working professionally as an actor and
singer when I was 8. Many years of writing taught me a lot and honed my
skills. Still honing. My folks I am grateful to say encouraged and supported
my passions and talents by providing me training and education - voice with
Seth Riggs,dance classes, NYU TISCH DRAMA…

*You’re a lucky gal.  I started taking vocal lessons with you in NYC via
referral and remember being in a tough period of my life; auditioning and
struggling. Going to your classes and working on my voice really meant
something. What is it like when you teach students like myself?*

I love teaching again, it’s an opportunity to share and empower others.
Students like yourself –full of passion, drive, desire who practice & put it
to good use — that makes teaching a fulfilling experience.

*Aw thanks.  So, How did you get involved with writing the lyrics for
“Dreams on Fire,” for the soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire?  Amazing film.*

I met AR Rahman a couple years ago, introduced myself and told him I want to
work with him, finish my album with him. Kind, generous and unique man that
he is he was open to meeting me. We met up in India and after listening to
my tracks asked if I wanted to write on a project he was doing. YES! is the
answer to that question. I spent three weeks in Madras working with him and
one song turned into four songs for two films.

A few months ago I was in Bombay and AR was working on a couple projects. He
pulled up the track for Dreams on Fire and said he wanted lyrics… I took the
pad and went to it. I did not know the film and in fact didn’t see it until
long after we recorded. I asked questions about the story line, characters
to lead me to themes I would put into the song. I wrote and we finished the
recording the same night — in 3 hours.

*Wow. Only 3 hours? I’m impressed.  Tell us, what is your songwriting
process? Are you more structured or stream of consciousness?*

Both. In this case I have a melody to write to — given melody and meter. And
for a film there are characters and themes to consider. Then I weave in
personal experiences or points of view which expand the concepts. I allow
myself to write anything that comes — the rewriting and editing is the craft
but to mold something we need lots of clay to play with. I often write pages
which boil down to a 3 minute song.

*Really cool.  Have you worked with M.I.A. and A.R. Rahman before? What was
it like working with these two artists/composers?*

I have not met M.I.A. AR and I have been working together. He is a special
man, an incredible talent with a solid spiritual core. We talk about the
divine, the world and then we laugh and are silly. So it’s fun and
uplifting. And I have learned a lot and improved as a writer working with
him. He’s a good editor.

*As a creative person, what advice would you give to someone out there who
is still struggling to achieve their goals or trying to figure out their
talents? Words of inspiration?*

Follow your passions. You have them for a reason. Add to that A LOT of
dedication, training — talents must be respected and discipline is required
to give them true opportunity to fly and shine. Listen to criticism — not to
stop you but to help you know where you need improving.

*Word.  And…the world, every single critic imaginable is embracing “Slumdog
Millionaire,” and you must be so proud to be a part of it all. Last time I
saw you, you were in LA for the Golden Globes!! How was that? Tell us all
the details!*

I am thrilled about the film — it’s an incredible work of art with a strong
point of view. The Golden Globes — I was just proud for the cast & crew & AR
— happy for India to be spilling it’s gifts to the West. The musicians and
life there is amazing. I’m excited for more people to experience it. Oh and
I felt beautiful.

*What projects are you currently working and also what’s next for the
future?*

I am writing with an artist in LA for her up coming album, Hypnotribe a Rock
band in India is recording their first album and I wrote a number of tracks
with them. I’m also writing for my own project… Heera in the Raw — a Global
Pop album — Western Sensibilities with Indian rhythms, sounds and grooves.

*You’ve already achieved so much, but what’s one more thing that you hope to
do in the near future?*

SO much! Writing for others is a real pleasure, so I’m excited to have hits
in different countries and genres performed by others. As well as my own
world tour performing with International artists.

*One more Awards show question.  How excited are you for the Academy Awards?
What will you be wearing?*

VERY EXCITED for AR! and all my Indian artist friends — this opens SO much
up! I am most likely wearing a silk embroidered sari

*In closing, we MUST hear what’s on your playlist. What are the tracks
you’re listening to?*

Right now it’s Slumdog — I’m learning the Hindi songs, I also love to stream
radioteentaal — all day Bollywood! Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Abida Parveen,
Rufus Wainwright….

Fabulous. I’ll have to stream these songs… Thanks so much for your time,
Wendy, and we have to release those tracks in the near future.  *And GOOD
LUCK AT THE OSCARS!!!*

--
-A
http://viewsnmuse.blogspot.com