Film compositions differ from other musical genres in that they are responsible
not only for evoking mood and feeling in listeners but for doing so in the
extra dimension of the moving image. If cinema can be considered a marriage
between sight and sound, then music is all the more crucial to its success;
history provides powerful examples. Take away “Lara’s Theme” and watch “Doctor
Zhivago” stripped of its sentimental beauty; omit Ennio Morricone’s score and
watch “Once Upon a Time in the West” stripped of its operatic magnificence.
This year’s Academy Award nominees elevated the human spirit in fascinating
ways. Just as James Newton Howard’s orchestral tribute to humanity in the face
of war matched its stirring subject matter in “Defiance”, so Danny Elfman’s
elegiac ode to the indefatigable human spirit did wonders for “Milk”. The
haunting allure of Alexandre Desplat’s contribution to “The Curious Case of
Benjamin Button” contrasted splendidly with A. R. Rahman’s breathless and
buoyant soundtrack for “Slumdog Millionaire”. But none of these created as
indelible of an impression on me than the score for “WALL·E”, composed by the
brilliant Thomas Newman. More than any other score this year, “WALL·E” blurred
the distinction between music and moving pictures in such a way that it proved
even space-age animation can withhold as much power as films did before the
advent of dialogue.
If there’s anything that could mute my enthusiasm for this year’s nominees,
it’s a single glaring omission. I admit that I’m still flabbergasted by “The
Dark Knight” being skipped over; of all the major film scores of 2008, Hans
Zimmer and James Newton Howard’s symphony of escalation was by far the most
interesting. It’s essentially a brilliant variation of their work on “Batman
Begins”, replete with a deep, thunderous bass and rumbling strings mimicking
unearthly sounds of anxiety and chaos. By snubbing the most boldly avant-garde
score ever written for a blockbuster film, the Academy has unfortunately played
things safe this year. Was it ever a crime for a superhero movie to have
crossover appeal? In the case of “The Dark Knight”, apparently so.
David’s Pick: “WALL·E”
Oscar Prediction: “Slumdog Millionaire”
Best Film(s) Not Nominated: “The Dark Knight”, “Speed Racer”, ”Frost/Nixon”

http://blog.dailycal.org/arts/2009/02/post-559/