The Stage is Set: Jeff Simon's Oscar predictions
By Jeff Simon
ARTS EDITOR

Story tools:

Larger
Smaller
Save
Print
Email

More Photos

Share this story:

the_buffalo_n880:http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/416027.html
Buzz up!

                        addthis_pub             = 'buffalonews';
                        addthis_logo            =
'http://www.buffalonews.com/static/images/shared/addthis.jpg';
                        addthis_brand           = 'Buffalo News';
                        addthis_options         = 'myweb, favorites, google,
fark, delicious, digg, myspace, facebook, live, reddit, slashdot, newsvine,
technorati, more';

And you thought last year’s Oscar TV ratings were weak. Wait until you see this
year’s after next Sunday. Believe me, it won’t be the movies’ fault. Unlike
2007, there are actually some 2008 contenders that are
certifiable, card-carrying crowd-pleasers (“Slumdog Millionaire,” the
near-certain winner for Best Picture is beloved in a way that such
extraordinary 2007 contenders as “There Will Be Blood” and “No Country for Old
Men” could never dream of being.) But the minute the Oscar producers named Hugh
Jackman this year’s Oscar host, a unanimous cry of “what the @!*%?” was heard
from Maine to Manitoba, Nome to Naragansett.
But hey, a marginally good time may actually be in the offing. Near-certain
winner Danny Boyle
–director of “Slumdog Millionaire” –is a guy liable to say anything at any
given time, and it will be fun to watch if he does.
No matter who wins of the two major Best Actor contenders (Sean Penn, Mickey
Rourke), something unusual may be said. These, to put it mildly, are two-fisted
noncomformists.
These, to be sure, are the Underdog Oscars. Most of those with the best chances
are underdog candidates writ large. If it isn’t an audience favorite of a movie
about the bottom dogs of Mumbai, India, it’s an actor (Mickey Rourke) whose
career had already received last rites – or one whose movie (“Milk”)
represented such an underdog cause – gay America –that one of its issues was on
the losing side of the ballot in the last California election.
This annual Oscar tip sheet is now in its 36th year of fun and frivolity, which
means that there are major contenders this year (Anne Hathaway, the late Heath
Ledger) who weren’t even born when it started. Count on my usual percentage
going between .500 and .750, but bettors and Oscar pool-swimmers looking for
help, be forewarned: This year will probably be lower. I’m taking a few flyers
against all odds and logic.
Best Picture: The nomination of “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” instead
of “WALL-E” or “The Dark Knight” is both an appalling tribute to the industrial
power of Paramount and Dreamworks studios and how absurd Oscar
business-as-usual can be (Jon Stewart said it most succinctly about “Benjamin
Button”: “equal parts ‘Forrest Gump’ and … his head falls to his chest with
eyes closed and he begins to snore loudly).”
No matter. The category is a neargimme. If the winner isn’t “Slumdog
Millionaire,” the ultimate crowd-pleasing underdog favorite (an oxymoron
“Slumdog” has achieved with splendid ease), it will be proof that the whole
town has gone nuts and ought to be quarantined.
Unless, of course, the surprise winner is “Milk,” which would make matters
feistily political and inflammatory and make up for passing up all those Oscars
they could have pitched at “Brokeback Mountain.”
In the year of the feel-good presidential election, “Slumdog” is the feel-good
movie candidate.
Best Actor: Everyone in it is good (even Brad Pitt was unusually subtle and
gentle in “Benjamin Button”) but it’s a two-man race: Sean Penn vs. Mickey
Rourke. Rourke would be my personal preference for “The Wrestler,” but I can’t
imagine that Hollywood disgust for the anti-gay marriage Prop 8 won’t team up
with admiration for the sudden wit and charm that the frequently charmless Sean
Penn is exhibiting at award shows to indicate anything but Penn. Pitt, Frank
Langella and Richard Jenkins, worthy as they are, are lucky to be in the
category.
Best Actress: OK, Meryl Streep won the Screen Actors Guild award for “Doubt.”
Case closed, right?
Maybe not. I can’t believe that the older-skewing Motion Picture Academy won’t
overrule SAG and opt instead for smart money choice Kate Winslet or even Anne
Hathaway, the extreme long shot. I’m taking a total flyer here and guessing
Hathaway, who was amazing in “Rachel Getting Married” and whose personal story
–a con-man boyfriend now behind bars –will win her a lot of pity votes from
older, wiser Academy types who know a thing or two about women who mate
foolishly.
Best Supporting Actor: Here is the Oscar that provides the dramatic reason for
the entire show. While it’s not 100 percent impossible Robert Downey Jr. could
overthrow Heath Ledger’s ghost, it’s certainly 99.7 percent. A posthumous Oscar
for Ledger is not only the most deserved Oscar of the entire show but will also
provide everyone in the audience (and at home) the only possible feel-good
moment that could emerge from such a terribly unfortunate premature death. Pay
careful attention to whomever is allowed to accept it for him. His father? His
director Chris Nolan? His final paramour Michelle Williams?
Best Supporting Actress: The best category of the entire night. An equal case
of award affection could be made for anyone in it. I’m taking a flyer and
guessing Penelope Cruz for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” (and for surviving Tom
Cruise, career intact) even though I wouldn’t be surprised by Amy Adams in
“Doubt.” My personal choice 10 times over would be Viola Davis for her tiny,
searing role in “Doubt.”
Director: Danny Boyle has already won the Director’s Guild Award. A funky
fellow if ever there was one, he’s even odds to accept the prize with a lot of
eloquent blarney or startling pub wit you don’t expect.
Adapted Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy’s screenplay for “Slumdog Millionaire” is
both wonderful and wildly unusual. Years from now, no one is ever likely to
regret a single Oscar that goes to “Slumdog” next Sunday, no matter how many
future police scrapes its principals could get into (as unlikely as that would
be for this cast and crew).
Original Screenplay: “In Bruges” would be an exhilarating surprise winner, a
bit less so would be “WALL-E” but there are just too many reasons, aesthetic,
political and otherwise, to opt for “Milk.”
Animated Feature: “WALL-E,” for sure. It should have been a Best Picture
nominee. It’s a bit of a travesty that it isn’t.
Foreign Language Film: Take your pick in another bifurcated race –“The Class”
or “Waltz With Bashir.” I’m guessing “Waltz With Bashir,” which is scheduled to
open here next week. “The Class” is now scheduled to open in Buffalo in March.
Art Direction: “Benjamin Button” might well deserve it if it didn’t make me
sleepy just to say so. That’s why I’m guessing the criminally undernominated
“The Dark Knight.”
Cinematography: It would have been a repeat of the above except that
“Slumdog’s” vibrant visual style changes the whole category. I’m invoking the
“no one will ever regret a single ‘Slumdog’ Oscar” rule.
Original Score: Alexander Desplat’s music for “Benjamin Button” was the worst
single element in the film. Another travesty nomination, therefore. A. R.
Rahman for “Slumdog” will offend no one, though Danny Elfman for “Milk” has an
outside shot.
Original Song: What? No Bruce Springsteen for his contribution to “The
Wrestler”? Didn’t these Oscar nominators see the Golden Globes? Are they crazy?
Answer: Yes. It’s amazing the number of worthy things they can figure out
reasons to avoid nominating. “Jai-Ho” from “Slumdog” is fun to sing along to
and, as the film’s Bollywood ending showed, dance to.
Costumes: Oh, all right, if they have to give “Button” something, they could
always go into the closet for this one. “Milk” would be a happier, though more
peculiar, choice.
Editing: “Slumdog” would be a different film altogether without the editing
virtuosity of director Danny Boyle and his cutter Chris Dickens. An Oscar to
Dickens would seem hard to avoid for anyone who actually knows what film
editors do.
Makeup: Another palatable consolation prize for “Benjamin Button” unless anger
at the slender fortunes of “The Dark Knight” pulls it through with another
prize for helping make Heath Ledger’s performance unforgettable.
Visual Effects: The only Oscar Benjy Button flat out deserves to win.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/story/580172.html

  • ... live for arr Live
    • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
      • ... Bergin Roy
        • ... $ Pavan Kumar $
      • ... Jahanzeb Farooq