you are exactly right ....    there is no point in arguing on raja sir and arr
sir....they are both living legends!!!!

    they both compose music and do it from their souls....!!!

________________________________
From: Prakash Balaramkrishna <prakysn...@yahoo.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 16 February, 2009 11:18:11 PM
Subject: [arr] Illayaraja Vs A.R.Rahman

http://ursmusically .blogspot. com/2009/ 02/illayaraja- vs-arrahman. html

I was reading this beautiful piece written by Vignesh on Illayaraja’s ‘Maarugo
Maarugo’ song from Vetri Vizha and I headed to comment section and this is what
I read as one of the comments,

Dear Vicky,

Long time ago, I used to play the flute in light music troupes in chennai,
though I have been fully focussed on practising carnatic music lately.

I wanted to listen to the music of the movie "Slumdog Millionaire" today to see
why it's being talked about so much. I searched and listened to it online.

It left me with a bad aftertaste. I just felt like cleansing my ears, body and
soul by listening to some Raaja music and landed in your blog.

Thanks for the wonderful analysis, sound clips. You (and Raaja) made my day.

with love,
srikanth.

I really haven’t taken such comments that have no constructive purpose
seriously and till this date I have never read or been in a single constructive
argument or debate when it comes to Raaja vs. Rahman. I don’t understand the
mind of some people, who call them to be an Illayaraja fan and who talk more
about A.R.Rahman and how bad his music is than about how great Illayaraja’s
music is. I don’t understand what is their real problem with Rahman, is it the
music itself, or its popularity.

Irrespective of who is the composer, Music has one single purpose. Is it so
difficult to understand the oneness of music? And who can better teach you the
oneness of music than Illayaraja, who has covered every possible genre of music
in his repertoire and yet makes us feel that it is all music, just Raaja’s
music? I guess if you are a fan of Illayaraja, and if you have really
understood his music and its purpose, it is so simple to accept and appreciate
anybody else’s music. If not, then you fail Illayaraja, his music hasn’t
educated you enough. (In this particular case I am so devastated that he who
commented about the music doesn’t know what background score in a movie is
meant for, and he calls himself Raaja fan)

I get as exhilarated by that worldly interlude in ‘Dil Gira Daftan’ from
Rahman’s Delhi-6 as I get in the thundering coda of ‘Om Shivo hum’ from Raaja’s
‘Naan Kadavul’. The kind of music in the songs that I compare here has nothing
in common in its sound and yet the purpose is the same. Illayaraja is a way and
A.R.Rahman is another way to attain a musical Nirvana. Everybody has the right
to choose his own way but the one who foul talk about the other ways is no
different from those extremists who in the name of religion, do things which
their religion itself doesn’t preach.

I don’t believe in religion but I believe in a God and in the same way I
believe in music and I take the best of both to pave my own way to reach its
purpose. I am both a devotee of Illayaraja and a Rahmaniac and I find it
perfectly normal and rational to be so. And some call it incomprehensible and
eccentric? I don’t know how to answer them because they never really explained
to me why they feel so.

When A.R.Rahman wave was spreading all over India, everyone told that
A.R.Rahman’s popularity is not because he is a genius or he has any talent but
because he borrows heavily from western music but it is the westerners who now
say that they have never heard a music score like that of ‘Slumdog Millionaire’
before. And so where did Rahman borrow all this long? Nobody seems to be
talking about this.

And what is this cry about Illayaraja deserving many International Awards and
not A.R.Rahman? These are utterly ridiculous arguments. Oscar or Golden Globe
is not given to greatest music composed by the greatest music composer of all
time from a country. Why can’t we be practical and realistic about these
awards? Raaja is contended in whatever he does in Indian films and if he gets a
chance he will definitely do it right in an international movie too, I believe
in it more than any other so called Raaja fan. And do you mean you want
Illayaraja to win an Oscar for his background score in ‘Naan Kadavul’ to prove
that he is the best background score composer in, the country? An Illayaraja
doesn’t want that because he has no intention to go global or is in no
contention with any Rahmans out there to prove his genius. Now if both
Illayaraja and A.R.Rahman were nominated for their respective scores in ‘Naan
Kadavul’ (though Raaja has slightly
 overdone it in Naan Kadavul) and ‘Slumdog Millionaire’, and if I say
A.R.Rahman deserves it, then I can be crucified. But that is not the case here.
I feel Illayaraja is one of the best in the world when it comes to composing
background score. When I wrote this, I was just trying to understand the impact
of the music in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ and explain it to others who are
interested and who otherwise would easily oversee it. I was trying to
illustrate the life that Rahman’s vibrant music brought to a movie like
‘Slumdog Millionaire’.

In this year, even if Thomas Newman wins it in the Best Original Score
category, I wouldn’t be disappointed because I have totally fallen in love with
his score for ‘Wall-E’. I felt its impact while watching the movie. I have
heard only the audio of Alexandre Desplat’s score for ‘Curious Case of Benjamin
Button’ and I loved what I heard but I don’t know how well it serves its
purpose in the movie. A great music needn’t always be a great background score.

And I can go on and on, I think it is best to conclude this piece with this
video

http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/