We have quite a few PAK members here, may be they can add a few bit to
the story. Atleast about whether the electronic media covered anything
on the same.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan <catchg...@...>
wrote:

> Who's AR Rahman?
>
> It is quite amusing to see how geo- political differences can
influence the coverage of events
> that have cultural acceptability across borders. KUNAL MAJUMDAR
scans Dawn and The News of
> Pakistan, and The Daily Star and The New Age of Bangladesh in search
of two words `AR Rahman'
> and `Oscars'.
>
> Posted Sunday, Mar 01 15:59:04, 2009
>

> While the Indian media went overboard with the coverage of Oscars,
the Pakistani media tried
> its best to ignore the Indian connection.  The leading newspaper
Dawn has no mention of AR
> Rahman's win.  In its lead article – `Slumdog scoops eight of its
ten nominations' (23 Feb,
> 2009); it does mention that the movie is based in Mumbai and gives
brief outline of the story.
> Beyond that, it simply ignores the Indians who won the Oscars.  A
feeling that Dawn
> intentionally wanted to stress on the poverty angle of the story
comes with the accompanying
> articles and photographs of slum kids.
>
> The News, of the Jang Group, was no different. The article --
`Slumdog Millionaire' wins Oscar
> gold at 81'st Academy Awards (February 24, 2009) tells the readers
that Slumdog is small-budget
> British movie on "A ragtag group of Indian orphans". The writer
mentions how the cast and the
> crew of the movie was present to accept the best film award, which
included "several school
> children who were plucked from Mumbai's shantytowns to appear in the
movie".  AR Rahman again
> ignored!
>
> The Daily Times also ignores the Indian winners. However, it has a
more sympathetic approach.
> It quotes Danny Boyle offering gratitude to Mumbaikars and saying
they even, "dwarf even this
> guy (Oscar statue)".  The newspaper is the only one to carry a
photograph of the cast and crew
> of the film, where you can see Anil Kapoor, AR Rahman and Rasul
Pookuthy.

> One wonders how many Pakistanis actually know about Penelope Cruz
and Hugh Jackman, compared to
> AR Rahman!
>
> Bangladeshi awareness
>
> Bangladeshi newspapers seem to be much more aware about the Indians
in the movie. In an article
> – Oscar Glory for `Slumdog'(February 24, 2009), The Daily Star
mentions AR Rahman's win quite
> prominently. The newspaper calls Slumdog Millionaire a "feel-good
film about a Mumbai tea boy
> who rises from poverty and enters a television quiz show to win
millions and find the love of
> his life". Quite a contrast to Pakistani media's definition. It goes
on to mention that in
> spite of being directed and produced by Englishmen, many Indians
claim it to be their own. A
> very just portray of the debate in India on the movie.  The article
also mentions about Resul
> Pookutty and the best documentary – Smile Pinki. Photographs
alongside have AR Rahman with his
> two Oscar statues.
>
> `AR Rahman wins Golden Globe' was the front-page story on The New
Age (February 24, 2009). The
> newspaper used Reuter's input and made Rahman's win the peg of the
story. The writer spoke
> about the versatility of Rahman's music and his other achievements.
While other western actors
> and films did get a mention, but it didn't dominate the story unlike
the Pakistani coverage.

> It is quite amusing to find how geo- political differences can
influence the coverage of events
> that have  cultural acceptability across borders.
>
> http://www.thehoot.org/web/home/story.php?
sectionId=8&mod=1&pg=1&valid=true&storyid=3683

  • ... Gopal Srinivasan
    • ... Shama Mehta
    • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
    • ... amritha raam
      • ... muhammad khan
    • ... Jahanzeb Farooq