MUMBAI: After A R Rahman brought home twin Oscars, music labels in India are
leaving no stone unturned to cash in on the Rahman fever. T-Series has already
launched a Rahman compilation last week. Others like Sony BMG, Saregama are
working on similar lines and are planning early March launches for similar
compilations.

T-Series launched a three CD set two days before the Oscar awards and the album
has been well received by music lovers. Says T-Series president - marketing
media publishing (TV) Vinod Bhanushali, “The album tracks Rahman’s journey from
Roja to Slumdog Millionaire as we own many of his titles like 1947 earth,
Nayak, Doli sajake rakhna, and the recent titles acquired in the last two
years- Yuvvraaj, Jaane tu ya jaane na, Ghajini and Delhi 6.”

The label promoted the set across all television channels; and aired an
interesting 90 second promo across all music and news channels.

Sony BMG, on the other hand, is in talks with major music labels including
Saregama, Times Music, Venus Records etc to acquire music rights of Rahman’s
titles. Sony BMG would be tentatively be launching a compilation of Rahman’s
hits in March.

Sony BMG Marketing director Sanujeet Bhujabal says, “We are looking at most of
his landmark works including songs from his Tamil soundtracks. Our compilation
would include Rahman songs across Bollywood, Tamil numbers, albums etc. We
already have some five to six Tamil titles which would be a part of the
compilation.”

A R Rahman and Sony BMG have been associated with his first album ‘Vande
Mataram’. “We have been doing A R Rahman collections/compilations since the
past couple of years for his fans. We feel it gives a nice platform to showcase
AR Rahman’s range of music to all his fans worldwide,” says Bhujabal.

Venus, which already has three earlier Rahman compilations in the market would
be giving out their title track of ‘Dil se’ to Sony BMG, which is also in talks
with Times Music for the rights of Rahman’s ‘Jana gana mana’, the only Rahman
title with that label. Sony BMG is also obtaining the rights of ‘Saathiya’ and
‘Sapnay’ from Saregama.

Saregama would also be launching a compilation by 10 March by buying rights
from other music labels like Sony BMG, Venus, Universal etc.

Saregama head, New Media and Publishing Gautam Sarakar denies that the label is
trying to cash in on the slumdog ...

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/editorial/special-reports/music-labels-rush-cash-rahmans-triumph