Rahman – Musician with a Heart
*      Date Submitted: *Thu Mar 12, 2009

A R Rahman, who created history by becoming the first Indian to win two
Oscars, has also been involved in the United Nations campaign to eradicate
poverty world wide for several years.

He has supported the cause of the Millennium Development Goals aimed at
eliminating or sharply reducing social and economic ills by 2015.

Rahman performed at a concert in Delhi, launched an anti-poverty song “Pray
for Me Brother” and participated in ‘Mission Ustad’ in support of the world
body’s anti-poverty campaign.

On March 10, 2004 the Oscar winner was formally appointed as the first
Global Ambassador of the “Stop TB Partnership” at a media event in London to
promote awareness about a disease that continues to kill two million people
every year.

While in New York to attend the opening of his hit musical “Bombay Dream” on
Broadway, Rahman had personally delivered a copy of the World Health
Organization’s “Colors” report on Tuberculosis to former United Nations
Secretary General Kofi Annan.

His efforts have given the greater visibility to the MDGs and helped in the
global and national campaign against poverty.

“Bollywood’s music is so much a part of everyday life for virtually every
individual in South Asia and the Diaspora and Rahman through his music and
popular recognition has helped reach our message to a massive audience. When
Rahman adds his dulcet voice and musical magic to the campaign, he strikes a
note of world-class innovation and determination”, said Director of
Millennium Campaign Salil Shetty.

In South Asia, the campaign works to increase public awareness of the MDGs
through campaign and policy advocacy work focused on accelerating the
progress on achieving MDGs in the key priority countries of India, Pakistan,
Bangladesh and Nepal.

It works with a wide range of celebrities across the world, but “I have
rarely come across somebody who is so passionate about the fight against
poverty and that too with such humility,” he added.

A lot of this, no doubt, comes from his own lived experience of hardship and
a humble beginning, Shetty said, adding that “We don’t see Rahman purely as
a celebrity advocate for the Millennium Development Goals and the UN but
much more than that.  He is really a fellow campaigner against poverty and
injustice.”

“To me, Rahman and his music embodies many of the universal values that the
UN and the Millennium Development Goals stand for equity, peace, justice and
human rights particularly for the poor and excluded in every society.  In
that sense, we do endorse each other,” he added.
http://www.indiajournal.com/pages/event.php?id=6213

--
regards,
Vithur