ARR doesn't want us to abuse other musicians like Raja.  As fans, we should
respect that.  I would never say bad things about a legend like Raja, anyway.
He is an important part of the holy trinity of Tamil Film Music (along with MSV
and ARR).  But, Bala is not a musician.  I'm not sure if he is musically
qualified to comment about Rahman's music.  Granted he decides the technicians
for his movies and he has the right to choose anyone.  He could have simply
said "Raja has done a great job for me in "Sethu", "Pithamagan" and "Naan
Kadavul" and Yuvan has done a good job in "Nandha".  So, I never thought of
going to someone else for the musical needs of my films".  Rather he says, with
surety, that Rahman's music would not have worked for his films.  That borders
on arrogance.  But, I wouldn't blame him; the hopeless tamil media talks about
him as if he is the next incarnation of Akira Kurosawa and this man probably
believes that.  IMHO, his movies are not that great - granted they are
different but that doesn't necessarily translate to great.  He is good but not
extraordinary.  One thing is true - Raja has given extraordinary music for his
movies.

Anyway, who cares what Bala thinks?  He is not the be all and end all of
cinema.  Rahman has conquered great heights and he will continue his great work
and please his millions of fans.  He has faced criticism from a lot of people
the last 17 years and has answered them all in style.  Listen to what
Balamurali Krishna says about Rahman now.  The same BMK, the legend he is,
didn't have so much good to say about Rahman few years back.  Same with Raja.
Now he is hailing him as a phenomenal musician.  I'm not blaming these
wonderful musicians for not talking great about Rahman in the past.  But, he
has earned their praise.  That is more important.  In addition, there are a
host of great/good directors working with Rahman and countless others queuing
up to work with him.