Heralded as the most imaginative director
working<http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/interviews/2009/deepa-mehta-interview-140309.html#>on
social issues surrounding the women of today, yesterday and tomorrow,
Deepa Mehta is the creative mastermind behind
films<http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/interviews/2009/deepa-mehta-interview-140309.html#>such
as Fire, Earth and Water to name a few.
*Jag Mundhra had shown some startling issues surrounding a *Punjabi* *
 **
<http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/interviews/2009/deepa-mehta-interview-140309.html#>woman's
plight in his film Provoked. Are we going to see your woman, Preity Zinta,
going through the same torment in Videsh?
I must say that *Heaven on Earth* or Videsh is very different from Provoked.
It's like what Shakespeare said - There are three stories in the world and
its how you tell them that makes one different from the other. Yes, this
story is partly about domestic abuse, but for me, the film is about the
power of imagination. When reality becomes so grim, how can you use your
imagination to liberate yourself? That is what the film is about. The milieu
is of course the isolation of the first generation working class immigrant,
whether they are in the U.S, the U.K, Australia or in this case Canada
because it's the first generation that suffers the most.
*What other films are you working on?*
I'm working on two films currently. One is a film called Exclusion with
Akshay Kumar and the other is based on Sulman Rushdie's book called The
Midnights Children.

*You've worked with the music director A.R. Rahman before. But how about
working with the Oscar winner now?*
(Laughs) Yes, A.R did the music for Fire, Earth and Water. I'd love to work
with the Oscar winner now, you're right (laughs). He definitely deserved an
Oscar. But we should never ever forget that he has always been a brilliant
music director and just because the West has recognised him doesn't mean
that he is more recognised now.
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/interviews/2009/deepa-mehta-interview-140309.html

--
regards,