I've wanting to ask this for a long time.
There was a period in the late 90's when ARR used some kind of 'glassy' feature
to female voices in his songs.
I'm unable to describe it properly.. what I mean is, the female voices had some
unnatural crispness added.

for eg, lets take Harini's voice in 'Telephone Mani Pol' - Indian.
or the female interlude in 'Thendrale Thendrale'  - Kadhal Desam.
and especially, the 's' sounds while singing will be so prominent.

soon after, all other music directors started using a similar style , to the
point where it was tiring.
but ARR stopped it..

Does anyone know what causes that feature ? is that some different type of
recording / something is added.

I hope I explained properly.. if someone has any idea let me know pls.
thanks..