Slumdog Millionaire Blu-ray ReviewApril 07, 2009

   The buzz and publicity surrounding Slumdog Millionaire (2008) in the last
six months has taken on a life of its own culminating in eight Academy
Awards including top honors for picture, director, cinematography, music,
screenplay and editing. I have been a fan of director Danny Boyle
(Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Sunshine) following the ups and downs of his
career since his debut with Shallow Grave (1994). However, I had little
interest in his latest due to what seemed a lackluster story and passed on
viewing until Fox's Blu-ray release.

The common synopsis is that Jamal Malik (Dev Patel as an 18 year old) is an
uneducated "slumdog" raised in the impoverished slums of Bombay (Mumbai). He
is on the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" only one
question away from winning it all when he is called into suspicion of how he
could possibly know the answers. Boyle even mentions in the special features
that when originally approached with the script, he had no interest in a
movie about a game show no matter where it was set. The beauty of the way
the movie plays out is that the game show is mostly a prop to tell Jamal's
story over the previous eleven years.

>From the initial scenes, there is no doubt that this is a Danny Boyle film
with his distinctive style wedding intense visuals and music together
through kinetic editing. The interrogation sequences and the chase through
the slums are about as visceral as you could ask for. The movie sucker
punches you from the get-go and takes off running with it being all you can
do to keep up and finding yourself breathless at the finale.

As much as I will praise the film, it definitely took a second viewing to
come together for me. The first time through I was impressed with the
presentation but was hung up on the "story" about the game show. It really
did not make sense how this ridiculous confluence of events (technically his
existence from the years of 7 to 18) came together to allow Jamal to know
every answer on the show and trying to absorb the movie in this fashion only
hampers its intended effect.

The story is best described as a melodramatic fable involving true love
played out in the guise of a fairy tale. It delves into the squalor that is
the "slums" of Mumbai with ubiquitous mounds of trash and poverty where
Jamal, along with his brother Salim (who has his own parallel and much
sadder tale to tell), is orphaned due to religious violence at the age of
seven leading him to make friends with young Latika who he quickly realizes
as the love of his life. Soon separated, they are reunited first at the ages
of 13 and eventually 18 where the story presently plays out. It is his love
for Latika (Frieda Pinto as the 18 year old) that fuels Jamal's existence
eventually landing him on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" to fulfill his
destiny.

It is no surprise why this movie was difficult to market and trying to
encapsulate it in a few lines as a story about a game show or a "rags to
riches" tale does not do it justice. As stated, the narrative is not meant
to be believable as much as effective, and when conveyed through the skill
of Boyle's direction, Chris Dicken's editing, Anthony Dod Mantle's
cinematography and A.R. Rahman's music, you get a harrowing but ultimately
uplifting tale that can in no way be divorced from the arresting visuals,
fast paced composition and driving music. I have minor nitpicks and will not
necessarily say Slumdog was the best film of 2008 (for my tastes I would
pick the Dark Knight but that is not Academy Award fare for such honors),
but considering many of the lesser deserving films to receive the award in
the past, I am content with it being labeled as such.

Slumdog Millionaire comes to Blu-ray with an AVC 1080p encode preserving the
theatrical ratio of 2.35:1. Shot using both 35mm and digital cameras, the
quality of the image can change dramatically from scene to scene. In his
commentary, the director assures us that even though the visuals may often
look less than pristine and show obvious digital noise (somewhat similar to
film grain though more obnoxious to my tastes), this was the intended
effect. He was going for a gritty look that paired well with the lively
editing and use of music.

The sequences shot on film are beautifully rendered with minimal grain,
precise detail, deep blacks and vibrant colors though sometimes stylized
choices on contrast will make whites run hot. The digital footage is hit and
miss (again keeping in mind it was supposed to look this way) with some
shots rivaling those in 35mm and others displaying rampant noise, a washed
out palette with blacks that turn to faded gray and a slight digital
harshness to the image. It you want to call this "gritty," be my guest as it
definitely has a "raw" feel; I am just not sure this is my optimal choice on
how to convey that feeling.

While films such as Michael Mann's Miami Vice took this style of digital
shooting to such an extreme as to be distracting, here it blends in with the
aesthetic that Boyle is striving for. The movie is generally so absorbing
and fast paced that assuming this style of photography is at all
objectionable to you, it will likely not be dwelled upon much. This is often
a good looking and consistently colorful transfer that I have little doubt
represents Boyle's vision for the film; the issue is how well you take to
it.

I can honestly say I did not expect the window-rattling English-Hindi 5.1
DTS-HD Master Audio track that gives all channels their due. Slumdog has its
share of dialog that comes through cleanly though some of the accents may
slightly obscure it. As easily as it deals with moments of quietness, this
lossless track will suddenly fill the room with resounding presence and bass
coming from all directions, not the least your subwoofer. Whether it is a
train or helicopter roaring by with precise directionality or the driving
rhythms of A.R. Rahman's award winning musical compositions that propel the
narrative, this soundtrack stands toe to toe with the best of modern action
films.

If I had any complaints, it is that the dynamic range is so broad it can be
almost disconcerting when the surround experience kicks in with full force.
I almost suspect this is intentional much in the way the digital photography
is to further cement the energetic and realistic texture of the movie. The
Hindi spoken parts are English "subtitled" in caption boxes that float
across the screen adding to the sense of motion. The only other audio is
French Dolby Digital 5.1 with extra subtitles in English (SDH), French and
Spanish.

All the supplemental materials (including a short film exclusive to Blu-ray)
are contained on the main 50GB Blu-ray disc with a second DVD housing
digital copies of the movie that work with ITunes and Windows Media Player.

*Audio Commentaries*: Two commentaries are provided: one from director Danny
Boyle and male lead Dev Patel and another from producer Christian Colson and
screenwriter Simon Beaufoy. The former is one of the better I have heard in
recent memory and strikes a perfect balance between being entertaining and
informative. Boyle and, to a lesser degree, Patel are very engaging and give
interesting context to the making of the film. The only deficit is there are
numerous points where they drop off, but there is more than enough value to
easily recommend this track.

The latter commentary, leaning towards being more informative, is not nearly
as captivating as Boyle/Patel's but does fill in many gaps in the production
background. If I did not have the former track for comparison, I would
probably find the producer/writer input more satisfactory. While not as easy
a recommendation, fans who put in the effort will find much of worth here.

*Deleted Scenes* (33:51) – 12 scenes that are either deleted or extended
covering periods throughout the movie. All are in standard def 4:3 aspect
ratio and letterboxed with 5.1 Dolby digital audio (though there is little
reason for surround on these). The video quality is not impressive but is
passable.

All of the scenes are interesting lending background to the movie with
extended versions of the chase through the slums and the opera scene and
removed footage of an extra question on the show, interaction of Jamal and
Prem Kumar (game show host) and the three children at younger ages. While
these are definitely worth watching, I do not think any should have been
included in the film as it would have thrown off the well balanced pacing.

*Slumdog Dreams: Danny Boyle and the Making of Slumdog Millionaire* (22:58)
– This relatively short featurette contains interviews from Boyle, writer
Simon Beaufoy and producer Christian Colson. This is very interesting
content with no fluff that covers writing and adapting the script, lots
about casting the leads at all three ages (7,13 and 18), the language
barrier among the cast and crew, using digital cameras, day to day life in
the "slum" and the chaos of filming on location in India. My only complaint
is this should have been longer.

*Manjha* (41:03) – Exclusive to the Blu-ray is an Indian short film by first
time director Rahi Anil Barve. This black and white piece plays as a
counterpart to Slumdog making you realize that even with all the squalor and
violence in the main film, it still ends on a feel-good note. Manjha shows a
much darker view of orphans and life on the streets in India. It is not
necessarily easy viewing but is worth the effort.

*From Script to Screen: The Toilet Scene* (5:25) – Boyle and Beaufoy explain
why the "toilet scene" is pivotal to setting up the background between
brothers Jamal and Salim. For those that have not watched the movie, this
scene is cringe inducing to say the least. Thankfully we learn that the
"poo" is actually made from peanut butter and chocolate.

*Bombay Liquid Dance* (3:00) – Video for the song by composer A.R. Rahman
that mirrors the movie in style and editing. Presented letterboxed in 4:3
ratio with 2 channel sound.

*Slumdog Cutdown* (5:36, HD) – A five and a half minute montage of scenes
from the film mixed with Rahman's popular song "Jai Ho."

*Trailer* (2:07, HD) – The domestic trailer for the film with 5.1 Dolby
Digital sound and an Mpeg-2 HD encode.

*European Trailer* (1:57) – The trailer for the European market in SD and 2
channel audio.

Slumdog Millionaire is a film that won over both audiences and critics alike
and, while overshadowed by its hype, does a commendable job of living up to
its many accolades. I would suggest not thinking too much about the internal
logic of this improbable love story and possible repeat viewings to absorb
the full effect of the presentation. Considering Boyle's work has covered so
many genres (horror, sci-fi, comedy, mystery) with much success, maybe I
need to learn to trust his decisions going forward no matter how peculiar
the story first sounds.

Fox's Blu-ray delivers an often beautiful transfer that is faithful to the
director's intentions no matter what qualms I may have with them and a
lossless soundtrack that is as dynamic as you could ask for. The extras have
some gems including Boyle's memorable commentary and the short film Manjha.
I do wish the "making of" featurette was more expansive with much of the
production information included in the producer/writer commentary translated
into a full length documentary including more input from the main actors.
Still, this Blu-ray is the premier way to experience this award-winning film
on home video.

- Robert Searle
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Slumdog_Millionaire_Blu-ray_Review/4522

--