AR Rahman: Arziyaan saari... 15 Apr 2009, 0042 hrs IST, PIYALI DASGUPTA
, TNN

Print<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-4400146,prtpage-1.cms>
   Email <javascript:openWindowmail('/mail/4400146.cms');>   Discuss
Share<javascript:void(0)>
 Save <javascript:showdivlayer('4400146','t','close');>
Comment<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/AR-Rahman-Arziyaan-saari/articleshow/4400146.cms#write>
Text:
   On Monday evening, the Hazrat Nizamuddin dargah in Delhi had a surprise
visitor – AR
Rahman<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/AR-Rahman-Arziyaan-saari/articleshow/4400146.cms#>,
who flew down from London to the capital.   [image: AR Rahman at Hazrat
Nizamuddin]<javascript:openslideshownew('/slideshow/4401104.cms?imw=460','541')>
<javascript:openslideshownew('/slideshow/4401104.cms?imw=460','541')>
AR Rahman at Hazrat Nizamuddin

He has been holidaying in London, relaxing after all the euphoria and hype
around his double Oscar win, and he came to Nizamuddin to attend the annual
Urs at Hazrat Nizamuddin. With him were his mother, Kareema Begum, and his
sister Ishrat, who came from Chennai. His
friend<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/AR-Rahman-Arziyaan-saari/articleshow/4400146.cms#>and
fitness trainer Rehan Jalali also flew down especially from LA, USA,
offer prayers with him at the dargah.

According to Syed Afsar Ali Nizami, one of the dargah officials, “Rahman
saab has been a regular visitor to the dargah. He’s been coming here for
many years now. He wanted this visit to be a very private affair, as he was
with his
mother<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/AR-Rahman-Arziyaan-saari/articleshow/4400146.cms#>and
sister and a few friends.”

He also says that Rahman’s visits are often unannounced. “Rahman kis waqt
dargah mein aayenge yeh kisiko pata nahin hota... Magar woh baba ke dar
zaroor aate
hai<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/AR-Rahman-Arziyaan-saari/articleshow/4400146.cms#>.
In fact, his mother was here last month and she offered prayers here just
after Rahman won the Oscars,” he says.

Rahman’s mother and sister arrived at the dargah at about 7.30 pm, and were
joined by Rahman at about 9.30 pm, with friends Rehan and Raj Makhija.

Dressed in a grey shirt and black trousers, Rahman spotted his mother and
called out to her, saying, “Amma, I’m here.

They were all escorted to the dargah by dargah official Syed Afsar Ali
Nizami. Rahman also offered a chadar and flowers at the tomb of Amir Khusrau
and Jehan Ara Begum, which is in the dargah complex before proceeding to the
dargah office. He also talked to the other guests for a while.

Rehan said, “This is my first visit to the Nizamuddin dargah. The atmosphere
is so beautiful. I feel so relaxed and nice. I’m happy that I could finally
make it with my friends.”
Rahman will drop his mother and sister back to Chennai, after which he will

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/AR-Rahman-Arziyaan-saari/articleshow/4400146.cms

--
regards,
Vithur