http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/2953/

Expectations galore
By TOI
May 11, 2009, 09:00

 Printer friendly page

For Oscar winner AR Rahman, burden is nothing new.
“The burden of expectations has always been upon me, whether on the
regional, national or international front,” he says, “For me, everybody
is important. While there are certain elements that might be repeated,
the creative element is the scariest aspect of composition. Even while
giving one’s creative best, there is always a fear lurking whether the
music would be appreciated or not.”
Every music director has his own approach to creativity. What path
does ARR adopt? “It’s more of a mental preparation. When I hear a
story, it goes into my system, and I can’t take it out of me. That’s
the reason I avoid meeting people; it then becomes difficult to say
no,” he smiles.

Talking about the current music in the
Indian film industry, he says, “A lot of good things are happening, but
I miss the mastery over classical music in the compositions.” We all
know that a true genius is humility personified. That, for you, is ARR.