Please upload scanned image.... Pls!!!!

--- On Thu, 28/5/09, Aravind AM <aravind...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Aravind AM <aravind...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [arr] Oru Kanavin Isai (ARR's biography in Vikatan) - Week 8 -
Translation
To: "ARRFANS" <arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, 28 May, 2009, 8:42 AM

Hi all,

Here's the translation of this week's article. I'll post the scans shortly.

Week 8

“I was suffering from inferiority complex when I was Dileep. After I became
Rahman, I felt as if I was born again!” said Rahman once. But, after the
conversion, he had to endure lot more difficulties due to the fame he attained.
One of those was the allegation that he financed terrorists. Rahman had to give
long explanations to quash the rumours.

Post the conversion, if there was one thing that interested Rahman apart from
music, that was Islam philosophies. He totally believed that his talent and all
his successes were attributed only to God. Wherever he traveled, he always
carried the prayer mat along with him. He never fails to complete his five
prayers each day. He even has a small prayer room in his recording studio. He
has done the Haj pilgrimage twise.

On one hand, Rahman is a person with deep faith in religion. On the other hand,
he is very modern person with respect to his musical thoughts. In his childhood
days, he was attracted by Michael Jackson’s music, dance and hairstyle. While
he was playing for bands like Nemesis and Roots, his attire, coolers and
hairstyle were like that of a pop-singer.

Roja released on 15 Aug, 1992. ‘Chinna Chinna Aasai’ (Chhoti si aasha in Hindi)
became the anthem in musical circles. ‘Pudhu Vellai Mazhai’ (Yeh Haseen
Vaadiyaan), ‘Thamizha Thamizha’(Bharath hum ko), ‘Kadhal Rojaave’ (Roja
Jaaneman) gave a new musical experience to the music-buffs because of the
superior recording quality and digital sound. Soon after the audio launch,
Rahman became famous throughout the country.

In those days, composers normally posed with a harmonium for press photos.
Ilayaraja had posed with a guitar many times. The small ‘kid’ who gave ‘Chinna
Chinna Aasai’ smiled for the cameras with a keyboard, and it was totally new!

There were many who said he was a ‘one film wonder’. But he followed it up with
Yodhaa and Pudhiya Mugam which had so much variety and freshness and also
became huge hits. (Many of his hardcore fans say Yodha was the first movie
album composed by Rahman, not Roja.) Gentleman, Gangmaster (Telugu) and
SuperPolice (Telugu) which followed, were also hits! Rahman showed the world
that he was not a one-film-wonder, but a trendsetter. A young fan following
started forming, for Rahman.

He stunned everyone suddenly, wearing  modern attire, sporting long locks of
hair, carrying a national flag, and running on the desert sands singing in ‘Maa
Tujhe Salaam’ in high pitch! People were amazed that Vande Mataram could also
be made as a rock/pop music video. Sufi Maestro Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
rendered a song in the album. Rahman, who was a great fan of Ustad ji, went to
Pakistan and recorded the song with him.. Apart from that the other 7 songs
were sung by Rahman himself, which was a sweet surprise for his fans.

But on the other side, a case was filed in the court claiming that Rahman had
insulted the sacred Vande Mataram with his techno music. Noted critic Subbudu
mentioned that it is not ‘Vande Mataram’, but ‘Vandhu Emaatharom’, which in
tamil means “we come and cheat”. Though the case was dismissed, these
criticisms did affect Rahman.

Though Rahman had so many successes in his young age itself, he was shaken by
criticism coming from unexpected quarters. Hindu Fundamentalist orgainsations
claimed that Rahman was insulting the hindu song Vande Mataram. A few Muslim
fundamentalists criticized him that, being a Hindu, he has elevated and
popularized a Hindu song!

That was when government provided security for Rahman, fearing threat to his
life. All these totally ruffled Rahman.

Then, he opened his heart out - “ God and religion are something personal to
each one. Be it mosque, or temple or church – it’s all within the heart. But,
it has now been politicized. I’m uncomfortable to have security guards around
me all the time. It shows the lack of trust on fellow human beings.
It is funny that  there are rumours that I’m funding terrorists, when
government itself is providing me security  as my life is under threat from
terrorists.

I help many social service organizations, without discriminating them as Hindu,
Muslim or Christian organizations. Those are very small amounts. Weapons can’t
be bought with that amount!”

Then, another rumour sprang out that he was forcing people close to him, to
convert to Islam. Rahman brushed away this one too, with a smile.

“Look at people close to me – Noel, Sridhar, Sivamani, Sivakumar! I’ve never
spoken to them about religion. My religion is mine; their religion is theirs.
That’s all”

Finally, all those ridiculous criticisms and rumours which were started by some
due to jealousy stopped. Rahman’s thundering successes silenced those who
spread such rumours.

(To be continued)

Aravind

My Blog: http://arrahmaniac. blogspot. com
Rahmania show interviews: http://rahmania. 4shared.com

Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India Travel
Click here!

      Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India
Travel http://in.travel.yahoo.com/