From: uday kiran <uda...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [arr] Oru Kanavin Isai (ARR's biography in Vikatan) - Week 10 -
Scans and Translation
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 11 June, 2009, 10:41 AM

      I think this can be the authorized biography of boss without pictures.

Thanks Arvind bro to this awesome post.

2009/6/11 Aravind AM <aravind...@yahoo. com>

Hi everyone,

Here are the scans and translation of this week's article.

Week 10, Part 01
http://www.flickr. com/photos/ aravind_am/ 3615929836/

Week 10, Part 02
http://www.flickr. com/photos/ aravind_am/ 3615929850/

Week 10:

Throughout the history of Tamil film music, the trends have kept changing.
During one period, it was completely based on Carnatic music. This was the time
when brilliant singers like Thyagaraja Bhagavathar, PU Chinnappa, Kittappa,
T.R.Malalingam were themselves actors. The high-pitched carnatic songs gave way
to soft melodies on the arrival of Viswanathan- Ramamoorthy on the scene. The
duo gave us many timeless classics, in the voices of TMS, P Susheela, PB
Shrinivas, which make some people still say, “nothing can match those old
songs”.

Then came another genius, Ilayaraja. He brought in folk music in to Tamil film
music. Thousands of songs, in which he fused western classical with carnatic,
became the favourites of masses.

When Tamil film industry was waiting for the next generation of music, came
Rahman. He brought in a new digital revolution. He reached out to the entire
country through his music and attained world fame. ‘Roja’ proved to be a
perfect opening for everything that followed.

During his jingles days, Rahman had composed for many ad films of director
Amshan Kumar. He speaks about his experience with Rahman - “Many film music
composers considered ad jingles as something below their standards. They would
rather sit idle at home, rather than compose for ad films. During that period,
I heard of this brilliant young composer in Saamiyaar Madum, Ashok Nagar.
Electronic music was a new technology those days. I’d listened to such sharp
music only in Andrei Tarkovsky’s films. I was overjoyed when I listened to
music of such quality, from Dileep.

Our work usually began at 10 pm, and would go on till wee hours of the morning.
Once, the composing that started at 10 pm got completed only at 6 am next
morning. I came out of the studio, completely satisfied. I found Mani Ratnam
and singer Minimini waiting there. I didn’t realize then that they were waiting
to compose a song which would go on to become a world famous song!

I didn’t see Rahman making them wait, as a negative thing. It just showed his
sincerity and his dedication to complete each work to complete satisfaction. I
think, this dedication is what has taken him to such great heights.”

When Roja released, it swept everyone like a storm. Many years back,
Illayaraja’s song “Machaanai Paatheengala” created a wave in the industry.
After many years, Rahman managed a similar feat with his “Chinna Chinna Aasai”.

Rahman totally changed the way music was composed too. He didn’t have a
separate conductor and arranger, and didn’t write down notes for the
instrumentalists.

He completely knows each person’s talent. He gives them complete freedom, and
made them sing/play independently, and picks and chooses the best out of those
and completes his recordings.  The singers and the instrumentalists are usually
in the dark as to which one of the pieces performed by them would be chosen by
Rahman. He works like a talented weaver, weaving in multiple layers and
multiple colours.

Right from Rahman’s early days, Sound engineer H.Sridhar was Rahman’s right
hand. The recent death of this extremely talented technician affected Rahman
deeply. Along with Rahman, he created many technology revolutions in sound
recordings. He once remarked about Rahman’s music – “I knew Rahman even before
Roja happened. We would often meet and discuss about the new developments in
recording technology and music trends. According to me his secret of success is
that he considers each song as his first song. He would retire to his prayer
room before recording for a song. We would be astonished to see him completely
fresh and totally charged up after the prayer. I’ve never seen him as a
dictator. He would always respects the creativity of his singers and
instrumentalists.

During the recordings, he wouldn’t talk much with the instrumentalists. He
would move out after explaining the basic idea, and they would play freely. He
would record everything, and use the best of those. ‘We shouldn’t rely on just
the technology. There should be soul in the music’, he would often say.”

Rahman is a techno-junkie. If you give him the latest headphone, within minutes
he would open it up in to parts and understand how it functions! The same
eagerness flowed on to his musical side, and made him keep thinking on how to
make recordings sound better.

After Roja, a majestic musical garden bloomed up for him.

Cheers,

Aravind

Rahmania show interviews: http://rahmania. 4shared.com

Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India Travel
Click here!

--
Regards,
Uday Kiran

      Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India
Travel http://in.travel.yahoo.com/