Oh no, not even in my wildest dreamsSong and BGM 'masters' ???Neways AR is a
master of both!

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM, V S Rawat <vsra...@gmail. com> wrote:

                  I want to understand the connection between songs in a film
as against

BGM of a film. Does it, and how does it help in improving the quality of

the music and/ or the BGM if the same person composes songs as well as

BGM, or if they are composed by different persons?

Normally, I think, songs-directors are quite busy and a song has to

sound unique, different from his and others' other songs, songs should

have instruments and style in tune with the time and place of the movie,

the lyrics should reflect the psychological profile and social

background/ religion/ caste/ maturity/ education of the character

singing them on the screen, so songs in a film, I think, should be

requiring more efforts, and as they also get sold to public, this

commercial angle also requires more efforts to be put in the songs to

make people shell out money.

However, BGMs could be general. Human brains are not so much attuned to

find similarities between BGMs of two different films, the reason could

be that BGMs are sadly not sold nor made available to public so almost

all of us happen to get to hear them only once or twice when we see the

film and then we tend to forget them. Another drawback could be lack of

lyrics in BGM. Lyrics in a song act as place marker, an aid to remember

and repeat music, so when we memorize the lyrics, the song of those

lyrics gets etched in our brain, but as there are no lyrics in BGM, it

is mostly hard to memorize the BGM.

Thus, BGM could be general. A BGM director can even prepare a BGM bank

that he can keep on giving them to different films and people would mind..

So, I think songs and BGMs are quite different area, having quite

different requirement. Then, how would it help when a songs-master

creates BGM or when a BGM-master creates song.

In fact, I think a songs-master is more busy so he might not pay more

attention in creating the BGM for the film so it might reduce the

quality of the BGM if a songs-master creates them. Or, a songs-master

might tend to create BGMs as "lyrics-less songs", that is, in

independent, individual patches like he was creating a song for a

situation but just didn't add lyrics to them.

I want to know whether you think ARR should concentrate on creating

songs and should leave BGMs to be developed by others, :-) even though

we love BGMs or any piece of created by our man?

--

Rawat

--
regards,