Forgive me for yet another post, but I wanted to bring up an amazing
observation.  When I combined the songs of Blue and Delhi 6 on one CD, having
one song from each album alternating with another, the experience was jaw
dropping and I was awe struck.  In my opinion, two masterpieces interwoven
together on a musical journey that only Rahman can create, all within a year!

Just between these 2 albums alone, here are the genres of music that I could
pick up:

Jazz
Smooth Jazz
Bhangra
Hip Hop
Diva Pop
Reggae
Latin/Carribean
Sufi
Thumri/Indian classical
Rap
Metal
Soft Rock
Techno
Trance
Indian Folk
Western Folk (Western folk I picked up from the unique use of background
acoustic guitar in Dil Gira Dafatan)
Scottish or Chinese (Dil Gira Dafatan's Interlude)
Devotional
Western classical/symphony
Opera

Now between the albums, look at the range of acoustic instruments(not including
diverse range of electronic and other percussive sounds):

Electric guitar (lots of variations in sound within this category!)
Acoustic guitar (variation in use and style - rhythm, slow arpgeggio)
Trumpet
Accordian
Harmonium
Tabla
English Horn
Tympani
Strings
Flute
Piano
Brass
Shehanai
Mandolin

I stil may be missing out on some genres or instruments. It's truly one of the
most unique qualities of ARR as a composer...being able to mix so many world
musical genres, influences, instruments, styles into his compositions so
seamlessly into this beautiful global aural tapestry....a true global musician
and musical alchemist!!!!