I remember RGV wrote this in his blog but couldn't find now in his blog.
However, I found a web link that has the same content.

http://movies.indiatimes.com/News-Gossip/News/Ram-Gopal-Varmas-Rahman/articleshow/4223179.cms

I was making a Telugu film called *Kshana Kshanam *with a first-time music
director called Keera Vani, now known as M.M.Kreem. One day at the recording
studio while we were having lunch, Rickey, a rhythm programmer working with
M.M.Kreem at that time, mentioned to me that I should work with this very
talented keyboard player called Dilip. That was the first time I had ever
heard of A.R.Rahman. I didn’t take Rickey seriously. Much later when I
happened to listen Roja’s songs at Mani Ratnam’s home, long before the film
released, I was blown away with the sheer originality of the songs’
orchestration and tunes. I immediately wanted to sign him for a film I was
making with Sanjay Dutt called *Nayak*, and for *Rangeela*. But my investors
preferred Anu Malik, as they felt the success of the music of *Roja’*s
dubbed version was a fluke, and that this kind of music would not work in
Hindi. The very fact that A.R was not signed by any top Hindi filmmaker
after *Roja* is proof-enough, they reasoned. They said that Anu Malik was at
the top of his form after *Baazigar*, and that we would get a much bigger
price for the audio.

I bartered with them that I will sign Anu Malik for *Nayak *if they allowed
me A.R for *Rangeela*. They agreed, but the plain truth behind it was that
they were not really interested in “Rangeela” as Sanjay Dutt post
“Khalnayak” was a much bigger star than Aamir at that time. After 20 days of
shooting for *Nayak *Sanjay got arrested in the serial blast case and the
film was shelved. (Much later the script of *Nayak* I made it as *Sarkar*).

Before A.R, I have worked with Ilayaraja, M.M.Kreem and Raaj Koti, and knew
on a personal level many other music directors and their working styles.
What struck me first when I met A.R was the incredible dignity with which he
carries himself. There is neither an iota of arrogance nor a halo of pride
which success invariably brings to people. After telling him the story of *
Rangeela*, I showed him references of some Hollywood musicals, and described
to him the visual style I was planning to capture the film in. Once he went
through the situations, the compositions he came up with used to surprise
me, though not always pleasantly. That is because his tunes were so original
in his interpretation of the emotion of a situation that a conventional ear
will take time to let it sink in. That I think is the reason one tends to
like his music more and more as one listens to it again and again. A case in
point is the *Hai Rama*song where my brief to him was that I wanted to shoot
an erotic number, wherein more than the romance I wanted to capture lust in
Urmila’s and Jackie’s faces.

After the brief I was subconsciously expecting him to come up with a tune,
something on the likes of I* Love You* (*Kaate Nahin Katthe Yeh Din Yeh Raat
*) in *Mr. I*ndia. What he came up with was the *Hai Rama *tune, which
sounded to me like some classical Carnatic raga, and my first reaction was
that he had lost his head. But when I kept hearing it, it grew on me like an
obsession, and I finally said that we will go ahead with the tune even
though I was still unsure, deep inside, of how it would fit into the
situation. But when he finished the entire track with the orchestration it
was beyond my wildest imagination that an erotic song can be made to sound
like that. He captured the intensity of the eroticism and the purity of its
feeling in the beginning alaap, the cello themes, and through the wild
tablaas which elevated the effect of the images I created, many times more
than what they would have been otherwise.

One other trait I noticed about the difference between A.R and other music
directors is that where the others pretty much dictate to the musicians and
the singers about what they want, A.R interacts with them; in a manner of
making each and every one of his solo musicians and singers feel as if it is
their song and not his, thereby placing the onus on them to feel from within
to get the best out of them. This I have never ever seen remotely practiced
by any other music director.

Whereas most music directors record the final track first, with all the
orchestration and get the singer to dub the last, A.R invariably gets the
singer to dub on a base rhythm track first and does the orchestration later,
as he wants the orchestration to rise from the depth of the feeling in the
singer’s voice. That’s the reason why with every one of his tracks you can’t
recognize where the music ends and the voice begins, and vice versa. Each
and every instrument is made to be played with the same emotional depth as
that is in the singer’s voice.

Not knowing technicalities of music I would think the phenomenon of A.R owes
not only to his obvious talent but also to his incredible patience, focus,
and dedication towards a song he is creating. The moment they finish
recording a song, most music directors forget about it and move on to
whatever else they are doing. A.R invariably keeps revisiting his song and
effecting changes onto them (Read it as sculpting and polishing). Until a
time the tracks have to leave for the audio company, he treats each and
every song of his like his own daughter whom he is preparing for a marriage
with the listener.

Also, A.R is the only artiste I have met who does not have creative
arrogance. I mean that he never defends his work if it were to be
criticized. He was recording *The spirit of Rangeela *theme in Chennai while
I was shooting in Mumbai. When he sent the track to me I didn’t like it, at
first hearing. Not just me but the entire unit didn’t. I called A.R and told
him that it was not working. Without a second’s pause he said he will work
out something else, and this he said after having worked on the track for
more than a week.

As I was playing the *spirit theme *in my car over and over again, at some
moment it hit me like a thunder bolt, and I told him that I must have been
out of my mind not to have liked it in the first place. He smiled and said
“I knew you would like it eventually”.

The aesthetics of his song tracks are beyond compare to any other music
director’s. What I mean by aesthetics is, if the melody is the story, the
various instruments and the way they are recorded, played, and their
inter-volume levels and tones would be like art direction, cinematography
etc. So purely in melody one might still feel a difference in their own
individual favourites, of what they like more and what they like less, but
his aesthetics are always perfect irrespective of the overall effect of the
song.

I can never forget a line of Rahman’s, which he said to me while at his
studio, “I’ve decided that whatever goes from here has to be good”. He said
it with neither arrogance nor extreme confidence. It was just so very simply
said just as a decision he took and that single sentence made me understand
A.R’s greatness, more than his music itself. I have known many including
myself who said, thought, and wished the same, but with the exception of A.R
I have yet to meet a single man who practiced it and continues to practice
it. Jai Ho!

--
Cheers,
Madhavan.R