Just seven minutes to interview someone in a hotel suite packed with camera
crew, bouncers, fellow journalists, PRs and various organisers is usually not
worth it, but when the person is A.R. Rahman you can't complain. Besides, it's
not everyday you get to see a journalist reveal after a few questions that she
is actually a budding singer who has her demo tapes with her! Since the singer
who keeps a low profile isn't easy to get in touch with, she thought an
interview was the perfect opportunity to do so. While Rahman politely nodded,
the PRs present next to him jumped into the fray and made way for the next
journo. There was no time to people watch after that as the organisers were
serious about "only seven minutes." Fresh from a successful live performance in
Chennai, the singer was enthusiastic to talk about his live concert, which is
being held in Hyderabad on October 24 at the GMR Arena, to raise money for the
CM's Relief Fund for flood victims. Unlike most celebs who crave attention,
Rahman is happy to be in the news only for causes like this or for his work.
But why is he not into marketing himself? "There is no time to talk," he says.
"I am always behind in my work. At the moment I'm finishing my music for a Mani
Ratnam film, Puli with Pavan Kalyan, then there's another movie with
Nagarjuna's son and afterwards, I am going to Hollywood for a project." Hectic
schedule indeed. Where does he get the motivation to work so hard, because he
has won every accolade and award? "People's love and the blessings of God
motivate me," says Rahman modestly, but continues, "I don't feel good if I
don't give my work my 100 per cent." He is very anti the
`Ok-I-have-done-enough' attitude which is prevalent in India. "When I compare
myself to legends abroad I realise that I have so much more to achieve." So who
inspires him? "That's a tough question." "I am into spirituality, and when I am
in that zone I get my peace to do my music..." This must be his formula for
success because his music manages to be globally appealing without moving away
from its Indian roots. When asked how he gets it right always, he laughs and
says, "Sometimes it's destiny. For Jai Ho, I just had these two words, but I
believed they would be easy to catch on. also, when you look at the film, it's
a bit dark so I though this song at the end will be positive." Unfortunately,
Subhash Ghai couldn't recognise a hit. And in an interview, SRK said he didn't
get Rahman to work on one of his movies because he felt the maestro was too
expensive. Two Oscars later, pricing shouldn't be an issue. "Price is never the
issue, I will even do it free of cost if a person really wants my music and me.
The price is just a test. It's about how much one values my music. When I got
an offer for Blue, no one knew much about the project, but I agreed to do it
and am glad I did." Along with music, what Rahman values the most is family
time. "I love spending time with my kids." Visiting Cuddapah often is also
something he loves. "My spiritual guru lives there and I feel rejuvenated after
visiting him." With this, the seven minutes are up. This doesn't mean people
won't be hearing much about the maestro. Apart from the Hyderabad concert, he
will perform at the International Space Station along with environmentalist
Vandana Shiva, with other performers from across the globe. This show will be
aired live on the website of One Drop, a charity that promotes global water
awareness. -DC

http://www.andhravilas.com/movienews/117753/A-R-Rahman-opens-up-his-mind.html