Zillion thanks!

Rahman fever
His Music ~ My Mother Tongue

________________________________
From: manisha_madhavan <manisha_madha...@yahoo.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 14 October, 2009 10:35:30 AM
Subject: [arr] Re: AR Rahman received Honorary Doctorate from Middlesex
University

I am not sure if this was already shared. But just came across this video on
Youtube of the entire ceremony where ARR was given the doctorate. Felt sooo soo
soo proud watching it. A beautiful introduction to ARR Sir, his works, his
contribution to the world. And an even more beautiful and inspirational
acceptance speech given by ARR Sir himself.

A must watch for those who missed, and for those who have seen it already, does
not hurt to watch it again :)
HD Video Link:
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=9pZNa6yGh9s

--- In arrahmanfans@ yahoogroups. com, Gopal Srinivasan <catchg...@. ..> wrote:

> Middlesex University honours India's brightest musical star– AR Rahman
>
> A visit from an Indian superstar brought Middlesex University and its
> students to a standstill yesterday. AR Rahman is an Indian composer,
> record producer, musician and singer and is probably best known as the
> winner of two Academy Awards for the music he wrote for the smash hit
> film Slumdog Millionaire. His visit to Middlesex University in Hendon,
> London had two purposes. Along with Middlesex's Vice-Chancellor,
> Professor Michael Driscoll, he signed a Memorandum of Understanding
> between his KM Music Conservatory in Chennai, India and the
> University. AR, as he is known, was also awarded an Honorary Degree,
> making him a Doctor of Middlesex University, the highest honour the
> University can bestow.
>
> Middlesex is an extremely popular British university throughoutIndia
> and hundreds of Indian students come to study on its London campuses.
> When the word got out that their musical hero, AR Rahman, was coming
> to receive his honorary degree, excitement started to mount. When he
> arrived on campus, there were scenes reminiscent of Beatlemania; women
> screamed and men mobbed him for an autograph or just a glance in their
> direction!
>
> In his speech to the University's academics and students, AR Rahman
> thanked the University and said: "It is an enormous honour to belong
> to this great seat of learning. My journey as a musician started at
> the age of nine and I see music as a way to connect to spirituality
> and embrace it. Music touches people and breaks down barriers,
> creating harmony in troubled times.This has always been my
> philosophy".
>
> The Memorandum of Understanding between AR Rahman's KM Music
> Conservatory and Middlesex University focuses on educational
> collaboration between India and the UK. The two organisations have
> agreed to explore the possibilities for collaboration in music and
> education and to support one of AR Rahman's `pet projects', that of
> the blending of Asian and Western musical styles.
>
> Dr Terry Butland is Deputy Vice-Chancellor International at Middlesex
> University. He commented on the Memorandum of Understanding: "I can't
> think of a more suitable and well placed partner for the University
> than AR Rahman. We are delighted to sign this Memorandum of
> Understanding which paves the way for what will undoubtedly be some
> interesting and innovative projects delivered jointly between
> Middlesex University and the KM Music Conservatory" . AR Rahman
> explained the background to the Memorandum of Understanding: "We
> looked at lots of universities but felt Middlesex had the right,
> friendly, vibe as well as its great history"
>
> During his visit to Middlesex University, AR Rahman revealed the
> current projects heis working on. He is scoring a comedy film and also
> writing and performing on a pop album, working with a well known hip
> [...]

      Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.
http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/connectmore