This is a 5 year old article from behindwoods.com and was posted in
Maniratnam's fan group. I'm sure many would have read through it
before and all of us would have known the contents by heart.
Nevertheless, it's a pleasant read and a good way to reminisce
ARR's relationship with Maniratnam.

Source:www.behindwoods.com

The first three-day audio sales crosses 1 lakh"-The Hindu

"Aayitha Ezhuthu audio sales is phenomenal"-The New Indian Express

"People going crazy about Aayitha Ezhuthu"-Sify

These are the reviews of "Aayitha Ezhuthu" in the media. The duo of
Mani Ratnam and A.R.Rahman has done it again and they have done it
in style. But how did it begin. Where did it start.

1991, among the glitter and glamour of an award function for
excellence in the field of advertising, very few would have imagined
that two individuals present there would soon start rewriting the
way movies and music made in India were looked at. One was Allah
Rakka Rahman, a 23 years old music whiz kid receiving the award for
the best ad jingle he had composed and the other was Mani Rathnam,
an invitee at the function.

All of us would well remember Arvind Swamy's Leo coffee ad directed by
Rajeev Menon. This was the ad which won the award and led to the
introduction of the musical genius to the ace director. Six months
later, Mani Rathnam showed up at the Panchathan Record Inn, a small
studio which Rahman had set up in 1989 in the courtyard of his house in
Kodambakam. This studio went on to become one of India's most equipped
and advanced recording studios. Bharat Bala, Rahman's school friend who
later directed the path breaking "Vandematharam" album had pushed Rahman
to compose a tune on the Cauvery issue which deeply affected both of
them. This tune which Rahman played to Mani later became the rage of the
nation, "Thamizha Thamizha" in the film Roja. A.R.Rahman arrived with a
bang.

One now is reminded of things happening for the good. It was because
of a small rift between Mani Rathnam and Illayaraja that the former
started looking for a new composer. Mani Rathnam would have well
patched up with Illayaraja whose earlier combination gave Tamil
industry one of the biggest audio successes, "Thalapathi", starring
Superstars Rajini Kanth and Mamooty. But Mani had the courage and
confidence to break the tie up with the lone ruler of the Tamil
music industry and go in for a novice. It will be interesting to
note that Illayaraja as a seventeen year old played the combo organ
during re-recording sessions of R K Sekhar, father of Rahman. Later,
eleven year old Rahman joined Illayaraja's troupe as a keyboard
player.

15th August 1992, Roja was released in Tamilnadu amidst sky-high
expectations and curiosity. It was a Mani Rathnam film without
Illayaraja. The film pundits doubted the ability of a 25-year old
debutant. The entire film world and filmgoers were in for a pleasant
surprise. Rahman delivered and Roja became a runaway super hit,
redefining Indian music and films. This is what A.R.Rahman had to
say about Roja, "I wasn't sure myself why I accepted Roja. I was
offered Rs.25,000 for it, a sum that I could make in three days
composing ad jingles. I think it was the prospect of working with
Mani that enticed me. Mani is not the usual kind of director who
uses songs as fillers. He takes great pains over the music of his
films. I love his picturisations, he can elevate a routine song by
400 percent; give it a new dimension." Mani Rathnam had these to say
about Rahman, "I was trying to do a film; I wanted good music and I
was searching for a music director. I found in Rahman someone ready
to break a lot of conventions that were there in terms of music and
recording at that point of time." Rahman adds, "I was blessed to be
picked by a director like him. He encouraged me a lot. It was as if
I studied in Mani's own university of music. He is like a brother to
me."

The magic continued; "Thiruda Thiruda", "Bombay", "Eruvar", "Dilse",
"Alaipayuthey", " Kannathil Muthamital" and the latest "Aayitha
Ezhuthu". All their movies were an excellent combination of visuals and
sound. All were trend setting in their own right. Mani Rathnam and
A.R.Rahman have come a long way. They have broken all barriers and taken
Tamil movies outside Tamilnadu, South India, India and Asia. One of my
Chinese friends comes to me and copies all Rahman songs into a compact
disc. An American comes to my friend and enquires about the shy musician
from Kodambakam. That's the reach Tamil music and movies have had these
days. This is something remarkable and something which Rahman and Mani
must be credited to. Rahman's "Bombay Dreams" broke all sales record in
UK and Mani Rathnam's movies are being studied by students in the film
making department of University of Illinois, Chicago.

These are things which make every Indian proud. Rahman has this to
say "I hate the discrimination between South, North, Tamil, Hindi.
If I represent India that is good enough for me. But we should cross
all these barriers. I wanted to go beyond the restrictions of
language, religion and caste, and music is really the only thing
that allows you to do that." He surely has. "Our films have already
crossed territorial limits. That is no mean achievement." the
director sums it up.

"Roja" which was dubbed in five Indian languages and ran in 22
states for 18 months was released to International audience in 2002.
It was well received and appreciated. The film opened to wide
critical and popular acclaim for its depiction of human love and
patriotism. It was also hailed as the first mainstream Indian film
to take a close look at the insurgency in the border state, then
just three years old.

A.R.Rahman has already composed music for a Chinese film, "Warriors of
Heaven and Earth". The lines from a Chinese tabloid read "The Indian
composer has given nothing short of a spectacle". The official website
of the movie has this published "Put simply, A R Rahman is a
phenomenon".

Having successfully staked his claim as India's greatest ambassador in
the world of music, Rahman has now sold well in excess of 100 million
albums worldwide. To put that in perspective, that's as many albums
as Madonna and Britney Spears put together and it places him firmly
in Michael Jackson territory, an artist, incidentally, that Rahman
has composed and performed with: Jackson was recently photographed
wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with a picture of Rahman and the message
`Salute To You'."

The movie has been nominated for the Oscars. Kaleidoscope Entertainment
Pvt. Ltd. has signed Mani Rathnam to direct an International movie
called "Dragon fire". The movie is based on the story of a renegade
Indo-Tibetan border police colonel who kidnaps a Tibetan political
prisoner from a prison in Lhasa. But there isn't much news about the
film after its official announcement. With more International offers
coming their way it wouldn't be long before the two most talented men in
the Indian film industry start conquering the world of cinema.

The story is just to begin!!