Rahman dreams of fusion music

October 25th, 2009

Hyderabad
Oct. 24: Oscar winner A.R. Rahman dreams about developing a unique
Indian music stream, the Indian Symphony, fusing classical and Western
music with the latest advances in technology.
“Fusion music is the buzz word now and we have to adapt to the latest
trends by incorporating the best of what we have and Western music with
a technological touch, to remain as top-notchers,” he says.
Rahman is in the city for a fund-raising concert to help flood victims.
In a tête-à-tête with this correspondent over lunch, Rahman, who gave a
new meaning to modern Indian music, points out that he has been
implementing this novel concept in his music school, which he started
in Chennai last year. “Indian music, Western music and technology, this
should be our mantra.”
His busy schedule notwithstanding (he arrived late on Friday after he
missed his afternoon flight), Rahman spent about 70 minutes with a
select group of guests, relishing Hyderabadi Nawabi dishes including
nalli gosht, koftas, kababs, ghost biryani, dhall fry and plain naan.
He politely refused when a chef offered him fried prawns.
“Your food is a bit spicy, but I like it. I used to eat lots of prawns
and crabs but of late I have stopped in order to keep myself fit.”
Asked whether he has turned a veggie, Rahman smilingly said he tried it
some time ago for three months, but gave it up when he became weak! “I
need lot of stamina and I get it from non-veg supplements.”
The guests included the GMR Airports chairman, Mr Kiran Kumar Grandhi,
the GMR urban infra and highways chief, Mr Srinivas Bommidala, the Jet
Airways area manager, Mr Ashok Kumar, and representatives from a couple
of media houses.
Rahman exchanged views on a variety of subjects including cricket,
music, family values, environment, philanthropy, floods, tsunami,
security, his concerts in India and abroad and corporate
responsibility. Clad in a light aqua blue tunic, Rahman answered
questions with ease.
Attributing his success to his quick adaptation to changing trends, he
said music buffs like music that combines all streams of vocal and
instrumental music. “My dream is to develop the Indian symphony and I
focus on teaching this concept to my students. A dozen leading foreign
and Indian music faculty is involved in teaching 130 students at the
music school,” Rahman says.
Rahman attributes his success to divine grace and the support of his
fans.
Environmentally conscious, he plans to shift his music school to a
sprawling 40-acre campus at Red Hills in Chennai, where he will
implement the “green building” concept — everything will be
eco-friendly from drawing underground water to electrification. “I am
planning some concerts on climate change,” he says.
A globe-trotter Rahman has visited half a dozen countries since he last
visited Hyderabad on October 12.
“I do not get jet-lag, but I need a day’s rest after a long commute.
But my wife is tired and says she can’t globe-trot any more.”
He goes to bed at 5 in the morning and wakes up at 1.00 pm to start a
fresh day. “I am used to these freak timings,” he said.
Soon after lunch, Rahman rushed to the GMR arena, where he performed a
music show later in the evening.
The police made strict security arrangements and the roads leading to
the airport were jam-packed with his fans and music lovers.

Courtesy -
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/hyderabad/rahman-dreams-fusion-music-776

Thanks & Regards
Michael