contd...

His performances with connoisseurs such as- Ustad Zakir Hussein,
Shankar Mahadevan, Selvaganesh and U Srinivas are known to enthrall the
audiences from across the globe and commenting on the on- stage
chemistry between maestros, Sivamani adds, “It is always a new
experience. They bring magic onto the stage."

Having been part
of the music for movies like Rang De Basanti, Taal, Lagaan and Kabul
Express, to name a few, one wonders what gives him more creative
satisfaction - live performance or movies? "I enjoy everything which is
close to music. I feel I am like a lamp and I am here to throw light
around," says the drummer, who also plays instruments like octoban,
darbuka, udukai and kanjira.

Although the musician who started playing drums at the age of 10, grew
up observing his father and other drummers, he feels that he picked up
his own style over the years. His son Kumaran, who is studying in a
city-based school, is also into drumming and Sivamani admits he loves
jamming with him.

Speaking on the current trend of music, he
says, "Music is like a clock, whatever is left behind will eventually
come back. It's the age of remake and remixes." After the success of
his last individual album Mahaleela, which released last year, he's
currently working on his upcoming solo album Anand. Sivamani regards
singer S P Balasubramanium as his godfather. There are certain things
which he learnt from him and practices in his life. "He taught me to
respect others, be humble and let go off your ego," he asserts.

(Sivamani will be performing in the city at a musical concert -
Heartbeats, on December 4, at Aabasaheb Garware College Ground 7.30 pm
onwards)