http://ibnlive.in.com/news/rahman-wins-cnnibn-indian-of-the-year-award/107520-3.html?from=tn

New Delhi: AR Rahman won the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2009 award. Rahman,
while accepting the award from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at a glittering
ceremony in New Delhi on Monday night, said he wants his music to lesson the
divide among the people.
"It is a triumph for music. I hope it inspires more people and lessens the
divide," said the Oscar winning music maestro.
When asked what was it about his music that wowed the world Rahman said, "I
don't know. I think the philosophy of music playing larger role, being
selective and blessings of God."
Singh described Rahman's music as inspirational saying when he heard his songs
in the White House, he had a sense of joy and achievement.
"AR Rahman's music is inspirational. It has a universal appeal. When I heard
Rahman in the White House, you cannot imagine the sense of joy and
achievement," Singh said.
Rahman also won the award in the entertainment category of the CNN-IBN Indian
of the Year 2009.
Sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar got the life time achievement award.