--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "juliencristobal"

<juliencristobal@> wrote:

> > > My VTV review after 5-6 hearings:
> > >
> > > As I am not fluent in Tamil, I am not going to comment on the
lyrics.

> > > 1) Omana Penne. This song starts beautifully with small bells
followed by heavy bass. The composition seems really simple at the
beginning but it's really difficult one to compose. Benny's voice is
modulated and it adds to create a very unique feeling to it. No other
than Benny would have been able to sing this song giving the same
feeling (RnB style). However if you listen carefully you know that you
are listening to an indian song due to the nadaswaram that is played
from 0:45.
> > > A.R.Rahman has mixed a lot of different rhythms that makes this
song unique. Kalyani makes her apparition in the of the middle song
singing in Malayalam in a classical way: the listener is sent back to
the 60's but modern rhythm are still being played. It's a superb
anachronism.  Benny vocal is back and more weird sounds are joining the
song. Later, a short nadaswaram interlude is played quickly join by this
modulate Benny! 10/10

> > > 2) What type of song is that? A techno/electro track? A
semi-classical song? Who cares, the sound is unique!
> > > Anbil Avan starts with some notes played  in a synthesizer that
are quickly blend with traditionnal drums and choir. Devan starts the
song with: anbil avan followed by very short sentences that leave a
great effect on the listener. Chinmayi sings a few lines but the moment
both Devan and Chinmayi sing together is very pleasant to the ears
(1:24-1:29). After a brief humming from Chinmayi, from nowhere a wedding
march is played by a pipe organ. Immediately after, the traditional
south Indian nadaswaram is heard. Where are we in a church for a
Christian wedding or a temple for a Hindu one? It's up to the listener
imaginationÂ…
> > > The song is very innovative and the mood set by the song is
totally different from the other songs. A feel good song all the way
thanks to A.R.Rahman catchy tune. Listening to Devan and Chinmayi (who
at times sounds like Vasundhra Das) I am sure they had fun while
recording the song! 9.5/10

> > > 3) Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa. This song seems to be played in
someone 's dream who imagines his beloved coming to him walking down a
grey sky. The minimal use of music instruments helps to underline
Karthik's  magnificent vocal in this soft and romantic song that will
have the same effect on the listener as A.R.Rahman `s En Swase Kaatre
title track. The light guitar notes are enchanting. A.R.Rahman hasn't
used the guitar so beautifully since Vellai Pukkal (Kannathil
Muthamittal) and Khamosh Raat (Takshak)  but the best part of the song
is between 1:37-2:21 : pure divine! A special mention as well for the
back vocalist who compliments Karthik's voice perfectly. Flip side: too
short!! 10/10

> > > 4)  Hosanna. This song is my favourite it is what we can call
vintage A.R.Rahman. When I saw on arrahman.com a few weeks back that
this song was sung by Vijay Prakash I was upset as I loved Srinivas
rendition seen on youtube during the London music launch . However,
Vijay is just as good as Srinivas! So what is so special about this
song? EVERYTHING! What a song! A flute here, a violin and cello there,
plus a guitar on the other hand and some pre-recorded rhythms create an
heavenly atmosphere. No wonder the song is called Hosanna. The song
progression is also very impressive from a very few instruments with
Vijay Vocal singing: En ithayam, unaithaan norunggave, En maru ithayam,
tharuven nee udaikave the song ends with the same lines but an explosion
of sounds tell you that you have reached Heaven (is the bell at the very
end a clue?).
> > > The vocals are equally good! Suzanne is at her seductive best (I
love the way the sang Dreams on Fire in Slumdog Millionaire) with some
very relaxing humming that invite you to some peaceful place (2:31-
3:16) . Vijay Prakash sounds very different when he sings En ithayam,
unaithaan norunggave, En maru ithayam, tharuven nee udaikave where his
voice is very soft and during the rest of the song where is voice is
almost rough/rustic at some moment like Kailash Kher (3:24-3:29).
Regarding Blaaze what to say? I was surprised to see Blaaze in such a
song but A.R.Rahman included the rap in such a way that you won't even
notice the change of singer. 11/10

> > > 5) Kannukul Kannai. The song has a really international appeal to
it and has shades (music wise) of Yaakai Thiri 0:49-1:18 ( Ayitha
Ezuthu) as well as Kelamal Kaiyile (ATM) but still it's different.
Naresh Iyer sings the song with a lot of aplomb and in a very fast way.
The moment that catches my attention the most is between 1:46 and 2:45
min where music and vocal reach the sky (pun intended):  baring the
vocal, we are not listening to a tamil song!  I am sure the song is more
interesting if you understand the lyricsÂ….I  need to listen to this
one more carefully in order to capture its real essence. 7/10

> > > 6) Mannippaya. When you think the best is behind you, A.R.Rahman
serves you another masterpiece.  What a composition!
> > > The songs starts with Shreya Ghoshal voluptuous vocal and a few
piano notes played every 5 seconds. Slowly the flute can be heard and
finally the song starts with piano in "full swing" and soft humming from
Shreya @:28 . Suddendly @:35, A.R.Rahman makes his apparition for the
first time through humming. Listening to them you know that the song is
about pain and difficult time as the sadness is palpable in both the
maestro and Miss Ghoshal voice. Was Shreya crying when she sung: oru
naalÂ…mannippaya (1:10 to 1:31) the pathos is very authentic. We can
feel the pain!! Immediately after A.R.Rahman starts singing in his usual
soft and suave voice (the effect is similar to New York Nagaram from
JOK.) The violin and the flute used in the interlude seem timeless.
> > > Shreya and A.R.Rahman are exceptional between 2:39 and 3:45 their
renditions are perfect  and the emotion is real, I am sure Shreya
diction is excellent as well. Suddendly from nowhere, a choir sings a
few lines. It seems angels are trying to reunite to lovers.
> > > The last few seconds are very frustrating as we can hear  Shreya
humming followed by very soft piano notes that let you know that the
song is over. So soon? Despite the length we are craving for more! 10/10

> > > 7) Aaoromale. Well what to say about this song?  I am going to let
the listener discovering it on his own ;)