Music is God’s gift to me, it just flows out of me: RahmanMRUDU NAIK
Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:16:57 AM Oman Time
  Email the story Print the story RSS feed
MUSCAT: The much loved music composer A.R. Rahman has come a long way ever
since his fresh and charmingly lilting soundtrack for Tamil film Roja. With two
Oscars, a Golden Globe, a Padmashree, four Indian national and 24 Filmfare
awards to his credit, Rahman, who turned 44 recently, has become synonymous
with musical brilliance.

Rahman has been heaped with praise for bringing new verve and fi nesse to music
in India. The accolades have come by the dozen but what remains constant about
him is his shy and down-to-earth demeanour.

But what is striking about Rahman is his sense of dedication and devotion to
what he loves the most — music. In an interview with Times of Oman, the
extremely modest man says, “Music means everything to me. Music is a blessing
for me. It is God’s gift and it just flows out of me.”

The man who has showed the world new ways of making a song says he has no
favourites. “I am an open person. Like how they say: We all came from
one source, my philosophy is the same for music. Besides, good music can be
appreciated by everyone,” he says.

Rahman, who has effortlessly linked the global East West musical divide, says a
right frame mind can create musical masterpieces.

“It is like an incubation process. You just need the right temperature in your
brain. If you are too excited or too calm, nothing can happen. You need the
right frame of mind to create good music,” says Rahman.

On whether time management is a problem, he says, “Music integrity is always
about the personality. You don’t give work that is half-finished. You
first of all plan your timing in such a way that you have enough time to do
your best.” He explains that if he does 20 movies a year he might have that
kind of a problem. “I accept very few movies at a time so I am able to
concentrate,” says the man whose soundtrack of Bombay was listed in the ‘1,000
albums to listen before you die’ by The Guardian.

The composer who takes six months to one year to create a composition says,
“Directors give me enough time to do my job. Like others, I do have my bad days
but I try the next day. The next day is not the same.”

Despite Slumdog Millionaire’s huge success he is relieved there is no bid to
typecast him. “Movie music is all about script. It is important to absorb the
situation and emotions in a film before composing. So it is not about copying
my own stuff. It is about paying attention to what people have not experienced
before,” he says.

Rahman makes sure he chooses projects that complement his music. “I have worked
with the best in India. Right now I am working with Mani Ratnam and Shankar.
Internationally, if there is an interest in my music and they want me to
compose for them I would be interested in it,” he says when asked if there is
any director he would like to work with.

The music maestro has a special regard for Iranian films and says if somebody
offers him a project he would do it. “It has nothing to do with the Sufi
influence. I am basically a huge fan of cinema of that variety,” he says.

Yes, if there is something he does apart from music, it is watching films. “I
am a member of the Academy. So I get a lot of movies free now,” he smiles.
Though he now partially lives in Los Angeles, he doesn’t find it inconvenient.
“It doesn’t get tough. That is life. You can’t get everything in life,” he
says. Since Rahman’s work gained global prominence with Slumdog Millionaire he
has been offered international projects. He doesn’t see this as going away from
India but spreading out.

“For me it is more about expansion. Music has no boundary,” he says. Perhaps he
understands the global pulse and his songs appeals to every part of the world
and that is why his music really has no boundaries.

The star, who has undertaken several sellout concert tours in over 30
international destinations, is open to collaborations of different kinds.

“That is the way I am made. My journey through music is not about film music
alone. I have played bands, sang and composed. I have been involved
in things apart from film music. That is how you evolve as a musician,” he
says.

Rahman’s noteworthy contribution to music world is he has opened doors to new
voices. Is that a conscious act?

“My only criterion is talent. There are no strings attached. I don’t care
whether one is popular or unpopular, poor or rich, good looking or bad. For me
it is just about talent. If their voices compliment my songs, I take them on,”
he says.

Rahman is clear he doesn’t believe in favouritism.

“If you attach yourself with a singer it conflicts with the interest of the
movie. Yes, sometimes you get inspired by certain singers but it won’t be
permanent,” he explains.

Is there anything that inspires him, say, like the sea? “Sea? Not since the
tsunami,” he grins unveiling his humorous side for a few minutes.

“I don’t need inspiration. Music is part of me,” he says.

Rahman hopes to release his personal album soon. “How soon I don’t know. But,
yes, sometime surely. It is definitely the project I am looking forward to,
after doing so many film soundtracks. I must mention the students of my school
KM Music Conservatory are doing an album for Saregama,” he says.

He talks very fondly of his school which he set up recently. “There are 200
students who live and learn music there. I put the school together. Now we
have faculty from US, UK and India teaching all genres of music along with
technology. We are offering a diploma and are affiliated with Middlesex
University and other Universities in the west,” he says.

Rahman says music piracy is inevitable in this technology ridden world.

“If people have consciousness they wouldn’t do that. But it is heartening that
people continue to buy CDs. So there is also no use cursing people who
indulge in piracy,” he says. Does he ever get angry? “I do get angry but I know
to control. If you don’t get angry you are not human. You just have to
channelise it in a constructive way,” he adds.

The ace composer believes reality shows are a great platform for upcoming
singers.

“It makes somebody out of a nobody. Anyway it is better than watching people
killing each other or bombing each other,” he says.

How does Rahman see himself five years down the line?

“Who knows whether I will be alive after five years? What is today is today. Be
happy today. I don’t think so much ahead,” he says. As of now Muscat awaits to
hear the man who has proved that melody and contemporary can go hand in hand.

Jai Ho!

http://www.timesofoman.com/innercat.asp?detail=32488&rand=BojF1uZL8t9PxH5NwxRMffHaZS