Masand Review: *Couples Retreat*, formulaic and fake

 *Rajeev Masand* <http://ibnlive.in.com/news/author/Rajeev+Masand/> / *
CNN-IBN* <http://ibnlive.in.com/news/agency/CNN-IBN/>

 [image: Time]Published on *Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 00:15*, Updated on *Sat,
Feb 06, 2010 at 19:59* in
**<http://ibnlive.in.com/news/masand-review-couples-retreat-formulaic-and-fake/109739-8.html#>
*Entertainment <http://ibnlive.in.com/entertainment/>* section

*Cast*: Vince Vaughn, Jason Bateman, Faizon Love, Jon Favreau

 *Director*: Peter Billingsley

 There's an old joke in Hollywood that no script written at a Starbucks has
ever gotten made into a film. It refers to the fact that just about everyone
in Los Angeles is trying to write a movie; everyone with a laptop in a
coffee-shop is more than likely hammering out a script.

 If I didn't know better, I'd say *Couples Retreat* is the kind of film that
was probably written at a Starbucks. But I know that's not true; it's been
written by two of the film's stars Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau, who
probably knocked it out in their plush condos in the Hollywood Hills.

 Fourteen years ago, the two guys starred in the far superior *Swingers* (which
Favreau wrote incidentally), a comedy about twenty-something guys figuring
out life and women as they traversed through the LA social scene. Coming
from the same team, *Couples Retreat* is an utterly unimaginative letdown.

 This film follows four couples as they visit a luxurious tropical island
resort for sun, sea, spas and sex, but end up having to do lots of therapy
and soul-searching instead.

 Laughs must be drawn from such clichéd gags as untimely erections and
suggestive yoga poses, and if that doesn't work for you, surely you can't
resist the sight of a kid peeing into a model toilet in a furnishings store.

 Fine actors like Jason Bateman, Kristen Davis, Jean Reno and Vaughn and
Favreau themselves are wasted in this un-funny comedy about marriage
mash-ups, which expectedly ends in a syrupy-sweet climax.

 *The actors spent a month shooting this film in gorgeous Bora Bora so it's
not like they went home empty handed from this experience. But I can't think
of one reason I'd recommend you watch this film. Not even for AR Rahman's
score, which is just as uninspired as the film.*

 One out of five and a thumbs-down for *Couples Retreat*; it's so formulaic
and fake you really couldn't care less if these couples stay together, get
divorced or are eaten up by sharks!

 *Rating: 1 / 5*

*

--