By beautiful phonetic character, I meant it has a very interesting "texture",
the way the words sound. You are right, it's not soft in that sense, I wouldn't
call it harsh, it appears "textured" to me. I think this has something to do
with the subtleties of different "la"s and "ra"s, "zha", etc(personal opinion,
I have almost no knowledge of Tamizh, would love to hear what others think of
this).

Of course, no comparison intended with any other language, they are all
beautiful in their own ways. I said this about Tamizh as this is a language I
have learned to appreciate purely for the "sound" of it!

Thanks.