RUNA RIZVI, THE JAANE TU LADY.. AN INTERVIEW

An established ghazal singer, she debuted in Bollywood with Sandesh Shandilya’s
Uff Kya Jadoo Mohabbat Hai. But her big break had to wait till A R Rahman gave
her the title song of Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa. We bring you Runa Rizvi as she
talks to Music Aloud about her career, ARR, and her upcoming projects.

Though you started your singing in Bollywood with Uff Kya Jadoo Mohabbat Hai,
the song where people really noticed you was the title song of Jaane Tu Ya
Jaane Na. So how did you land up that dream offer, of working with A R Rahman?
Yes my debut was Uff Kya Jadoo Mohobbat Hai from Rajshri Productions and I
think that was the most important and learning experiences of my first step in
the music world. Its definitely close to my heart as it was my introduction to
a recording microphone and the technicalities that a playback singer needs to
learn. I must add here that it was quite a challenging experience but everybody
right from the producer, the thoughtful Mr. Rajat Barjatya to my music director
Sandesh Shandilya ji were very co-operative. I remember asking Sunidhi (who
sang the title track in the movie then) when I met her at the studio, a few
tips about singing correctly with the right throw on the recording mic and she
was very helpful and supportive and assured me saying that no matter how long
to takes to sing a song don’t forget you have sung it in the end with a lot of
hard work. Later I worked with other artists too like Leslie Lewis, Bappi da
etc. but then got busy
 assisting father in his music school and conducting workshops with him. One
day a dear friend of my family heard me at a get together and recommended my
name to Rahman sir as he was also Looking for a Punjabi folk voice for a
project called Provoked by Jagmohan Mundra . So technically Provoked was my
first work with Rahman sir . I did backing vocals, Alaaps and a few couplets
for that movie.
How was the experience of working with Rahman? Especially since the song was
something not quite along your regular line of semiclassical songs?
This is a myth I want to break in the industry – a classical /semi-classical
singer can only sing that particular genre. I love hip hop, R&B, blues, jazz,
country etc and when I sing those I don’t think anyone would be able to point
out that I am from a Classical background. So I am here to sing all genres I
can and the deal is I want to make it sound mine when I do it.

About Rahman Sir – I can fall short of words writing about Sir and his
humility. I met him the first time In Chennai at his studio around 2.00 am in
the morning. He is indeed the simplest guy I’ve met. I clearly remember having
a very bad throat that day as I was all nervous and excited to see him. But the
moment he walked into the studio he made sure I was at ease and asked me to
sing something I was comfortable in I sang a sufi punjabi no. Then I requested
him that I would like to sing a Western song too. He heard me out and just said
OK Take. And we finished the recording through the night. After a few months I
get a call again from Chennai and before I knew it I was sitting with Abbas
Tyrewala and Rahman sir learning Jaane Tu in the studio (This time it was 3.00
am). When I sang the song it was all just a simple loop and Sir was on the
keyboard guiding me through. I couldn’t believe it when I heard the song later!
He is truly a musical genius.
 Jaane Tu is an achievement of my life. The one thing I completely admire about
Sir which I also follow in my life is – His Music is his God. God bless him.

I once asked him about the inspiration behind his music that makes him stand
out of the ordinary. He just said, “Every song I create is like my first song”.
Thats the passion he has for music. I am blessed to have had the opportunity to
have worked with him and have learnt to become a better musician and more than
that a better person.
http://www.musicaloud.com/2010/07/09/runa-rizvi-the-jaane-tu-lady-an-interview/