Wonderful Review

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Gayathri <gayathri_c...@yahoo.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, August 5, 2010 2:41:15 AM
Subject: [arr] A.R.Rahman- the epitome of a true music virtuoso

With the heavy workload for the past 1 month, I hardly had any time to spend on
myself…no movies, no hangouts with friends, no chatting and/or interacting on
the net, and no music :( So, when the last of my assignments were sent in last
Friday, my mind was all set to embrace the activities that I've missed thus
far.

Call it fate, but Endhiran's audio release was set at a time when I desired the
much-needed emancipation from the maddening world…and boy, what a relief it
brought to my life.
Honestly speaking, I wasn't expecting much from Endhiran soundtracks. Western,
particularly techno music has never been my favorite. Why, even when the whole
world went ga-ga over the funky Hello Doctor and Kalloori Salai (when Kadhal
Desam was released), I've been more moved by the blissful Thendrale and Anbe
Anbe from the same film. And with the kind of film Enthiran was anticipated to
be, I was very sure that there weren't going to be any soulful melodies in the
tracks. Nevertheless, Enthiran is definitely an album which stands tall among
others, even as it continues to create a delightful impact on the listeners.
Leaving the musical aspect of the album to the experts, I'm merely here to
share
my experience with the album. The album starts out with Puthiya Manidha, which
also happens to be my favourite track. The prelude music, coupled the chanting
of "Puthiya Manidha" in sci-fi tune (who is this guy?) and Kathijah's soulful
voice creates a certain anticipation in yourself. Well, if you know ARR's
music,
then you'll definitely know that this number is just going to get bigger! And
before you could stop thinking, the song hits you like a bang! SPB pushes into
the front lane and with the occasional support from ARR, delivers a splendid
performance. And yes, the whole song has a techno feel to it, but it's far from
being loud and noisy. There's a life in this song, a soul waiting to embrace
the
world…and by the end of the song, you know that Enthiran has born to rule the
world.

Kadhal Anukkal didn't create an impact on the first listen as Puthiya Manidha
did to me. To begin with, it took me some time to realize that it's Vijay
Prakash who delivering the number. Is he the same guy who sang Hossanna? He
definitely sounds different. At times, I even felt that he was imitating Udit
Narayan's way of singing. Maybe he's not but I certainly wasn't taken by his
singing nor the song….at first. With repeated hearing, you realize what you've
missed at the first listen. Sounds you've never heard before, the cheekiness in
Vijay's voice, the joy in Shreya's and a positive vibrancy in the whole number.
The song sound fresher after numerous hearing. It's my fault for dismissing
Vijay too soon. He was amazing. Shreya was at her usual best, and leaves a
distinguished mark with the way she loops around the notes at the end of the
song. Wish she had continued singing the notes a little longer.  I still don't
listen to this number as much as I enjoyed listening to Puthiya Manidha, but
yes, this is definitely a track to look out for.
ARR switches back to techno with Irumbile oru Idhayam. The song exudes sci-fi
and techno music at its best. Was I thinking that this would be soulful? A
definite no, but surprisingly and funnily, it is. The whole idea about this
number is to project a man who feels love blossoming from his heart of steel.
ARR uses the right techno sounds to present the number. The high technology,
sci-fi tune depicts the robot's inflexion, while the lyrics, regardless of how
funny or techno centric they are, illustrate his feelings towards his lover.

In fact, I would group Irumbile Oru Idhayam in the same category of Chitti
Dance
Showcase and Boom Boom Robo Da. They are definitely exciting; with amazing,
crisp, clear, sci-fi sounds nevertheless, I failed to strike a chord with any
of
them. With the right visuals though, these songs would definitely create a rage
in future, but for the time being, they stay at the bottom of my favorite track
list.
Arima Arima on the other hand belongs to a different genre. I must admit that
the number has yet to grow on me but I'm starting to have a fondness on the
grandiose that the number exudes. After a long time, Hariharan is back to ARR's
camp…and as usual, he deals the high notes with élan. Sadhana Sargam on the
other hand, is someone I prefer to hear in softer melodies. For some reasons, I
always found her voice to be a little annoying when sung in the higher notes.
Then again, the arrangement of music in this number takes the front line as
compared to the vocals. Such high-flying orchestration, such perfect crafting.
The song belongs to neither Hariharan nor Sadhna Sargam…this one belongs to the
one and only ARR!
Kilimanjaro is a surprise package in this album. It's a result of tribal music
meeting modern melody. Both Javed Ali and Chinmayi seem to have loads of fun
with this track. They sure sound different from their other numbers, Chinmayi
especially. In fact, I must confess that I always had difficulties recognizing
Chinmayi's voice. This could serve as both advantage and disadvantage to her.
Advantage in which she keeps proving that she's good in presenting various
style
in her singing. And disadvantage in the sense of  losing her identity. I mean,
each singer have their distinctive styles and voice modulations. This
difference
is what sets them apart from one another. Of course, failing to bring upon your
own distinctive style is hardly seen as a negative aspect, nevertheless,
failing
to stamp your voice in the minds of listeners will definitely be a
disadvantage.
Chinmayi should start focusing on bringing upon different styles in her natural
voice instead of changing her voice to make it sound to something it's not.

Coming back to the song, I was mighty impressed with the vocal and music
arrangement. They have been done tastefully and radiate a blooming presentation
to the track.

As an album, Endhiran is definitely not of my taste of music but it's alsonot
an
album with mere sounds and technology. There's something about the album which
sparks a positive vibrations. There's no "Style Style" of Sivaji or "No
Problem"
from Love Birds here. In fact, Endhiran's music arrangement is something which
is not only enriching but inspiring as well. And it's only made possible by
ARR.
With Endhiran, ARR has once again proven why he's the epitome of music
virtuoso-
he has practically revolutionize the current music scene, escalating it to such
greater heights, that it will be highly impossible for other musicians to
climb,
let alone touch the peak the music is brought to. Endhiran may not be my most
favorite albums but I'm certainly glad to have lived to hear them.

Gayathri