From: Gopal Srinivasan <catchg...@gmail.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, 24 August, 2010 15:25:50
Subject: Re: [arr] songs database

Thanks to everyone that agreed to participate. The enthusiasm to get things
rolling is encouraging. However, I would caution against adhoc development.
Between ourselves, we have 90%-95% of the data we need. So, that need not be
the
focus. In my view, the focus needs to be on designing a database that is robust
and extensible in design. It should allow for backend storage and front end
ingestion and retrieval of data. Extensibility is particularly important
because
there may be views of data that we don't conceive now but will be come apparent
in future. A relational database schema seems like the best approach to take.
Let me illustrate that with an example - in some cases you have credits for
musicians for a song and in many cases only for an entire album. This is true
for awards too. The only way this can be handled is through relational
databases
with well thought-through  entity-relationships. I would therefore request that
let our initial focus be on defining what kind of information are we seeking to
archive and then design the database before getting down to implementation.
Populating it with data is a relatively trivial task. Suggestions welcome.