Actually hindi is NOT the national language of India it's the princial official
language (for govt. administration etc.)....India has MANY national languages
actually..

this is from Wikipedia:

"The principal official language of the Republic of India is Standard Hindi,
while English is the secondary official language.[2] The constitution of India
states that "The official language of the Union shall be Hindi in Devanagari
script."[3] Neither the Constitution of India nor Indian law specifies a
National language, a position supported by a High Court ruling.[4] However,
languages listed in the Eighth Schedule of the Indian constitution are
sometimes referred to, without legal standing, as the national languages of
India.[5][6]"