Macros are but one manifestation of bypassing hidden/visible
attributes to access things.  API's are another one, they allow you to
update that to which you have permissions (not to be confused with
visibility).  Active link push fields actions are another, you can
push to any form/field pair to which you have the appropriate
permissions (has nothing to do with form/field visibility).

What one has to understand is that the permission model is completely
independant of any visibility to things that a client offers (hidden,
read only, not in the current view, etc.).  Just because the flag on
the form says 'hidden' and the user tool chooses to not list that
object based on that flag has no bearing on whether you have real
(permission based) access to that form, its fields, or its data.

Axton Grams