From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Mike White
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:54 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Remedy vs. HP OpenView -> home grown applications ?

Robert,

      I'm not certain that I fully understand your question.  I believe
you're asking if you can customize the Remedy-side of the HPOV
bidirectional gateway after implementation.  If so, then yes, you can.

      The gateway is a client installed on the HPOV server and a form and
some workflow on the Remedy server.  The client (HPOV) has a configuration
file which "points to" a form/schema on the Remedy server and lists
specific fields to be passed from HPOV's alerts.status table to the
specified Remedy form, and whether they're to be updated only when
initially created or on behalf of each update.  (It specifies some other
stuff as well, such as Remedy login name and password).

      The gateway logs-in to the notifier server looking for
specially-constructed notifications directed to it's userid.  This is how
it's "fed" from Remedy.  Filters on the Remedy side manage the
notifications, determining conditions and fields to be included.  Given
this, you can pretty much do whatever else you want with the form.
Locally, we don't use their OOTB form name and fields.  We built our own.
Works fine.

Mike White
Office:  813-978-2192
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      "Kern, Robert

                      SBA"                     To:       arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:

                      NS.COM>                  Subject:  Remedy vs. HP OpenView
-> home grown applications ?
                      Sent by: "Action

                      Request System

                      discussion

                      list(ARSList)"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      04/26/2006 01:31

                      Please respond to

                      arslist

**

Hello list,

some question that showed up during tool consolidation consideration.
Perhaps any listener has some insights at HP OV and is able to comment on
that one..

Basically we have hown grown applications at Remedy (mainly for Incident
and other stuff, not related to Service Desk topics) and want to compare
that with the HP OV ServiceDesk suite ( Change, Incident, ... ).

The main question at the moment is :
- am I able to build hown grown applications with HP OV ( ServiceDesk?) ? (
aka is HP OV (SD?) some kind of workflow engine system, that can be
customized compareable to Remedy ? ).

Is HP OV the toolset and I can make a hown grown application with that ? SD
being the out of the box solution, like ITSM ? Can I customize SD and still
upgrade easily ? Can I upgrade HP OV infrastucture alone (Server Software),
or OV SD suite upgrade alone, or always in bundle ?

Or to put it that way... can I build an application with HP OV that manages
for example things that are connected to "Service Desk", like an building
an ordering system, of for examle an application that tracks coffee
consumption or something.

Thank's a lot and best greetings !

Robert

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind regards